Geo Engineering...Your thoughts?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This is a duplication of a post I made earlier today in our sister site - Garden Pond Forums. I have already had a few interesting responses. I thought I would duplicate my original post here since some of you are not members of GPF.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

This might be a controversial topic, but I am interested in your feedback. I am trying to keep an open mind about the pros/cons...truths/untruths of Geo Engineering. Some people believe Geo Engineering could reap positive outcomes. Some people are total skeptics and advocate Geo Engineering could have negative effects. Some people believe it has secretly been going on for years to our detriment, and we have been lied to. Most people are clueless about this topic. And, then there are some who want to get to the truth either way.

First, what is Geo Engineering? While the term Geo Engineering can refer to things like geological, geotechnical or geophysical engineering, for the purposes of this discussion I am referring to Geo Engineering in terms of Climate Engineering.

Geo Engineering discussion runs the gamut from those who refer to it as the deliberate and large-scale intervention in the Earth’s climatic system with the aim of staving off or reversing negative climate change (https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/geoengineering-and-climate-change/ ) to those who advocate it is already going on and is by no means helping, but deliberately exacerbating negative climate change and is a subversive plot being carried out by world governments and special interests who want to weaken the world's population physically, mentally and socially. (http://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/)

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Powerful people have been controlling the masses since the beginning of time , my thoughts on this subject is that if it is possible to control climatic conditions then there is no doubt in my mind that someone somewhere will use it to their advantage whether the means be fair or foul.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Why has the earth gone through many many dramatic climate changes without the help of fossil fuels? What makes this particular event any different? I believe the answer is government POWER. If the government can convince enough people that the world is ending then the populace will override common sense and cede complete control of everything to the powers that be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
No it's the wrong direction in my opinion. More should be done to respect and protect natural climate. It also has natural cycles that need to be better adapted to. We should be stewards not manipulators. Maybe there is a plant out there to would be a good place to experiment. Create an environment per spec a whole plant ecology for that matter. That I am for, or better yet a large scale space station. That would be fantastic I think. I think our knowledge and technology should help in giving the earth a break and space is the other opportunity. In reality there is only a finite usability of the earth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Tipping the balance may result in short term improvement but eventually, someone will have to pay the price.
Nature will acquire alternate stable state in one way or other.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Commercial airlines responsible for the chemtrail spraying here in Australia.
Just wonder how many pilots have sold their soul for the almighty dollar?
Most is my guess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Man should do his best not to pollute his environment. This is just common sense. However, trying to manipulate the entire environment is another thing completely. Anything short of returning to caves and eliminating the use of fossil fuels for power would only be halfhearted measures. I think our environment will remain pretty much static for years to come or until Yellowstone decides to blow its top. When that happens the environment will be damaged beyond anything man could do.

Ask a Question