G'day from Spain!

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thought I would join up as we are going to be buying a new house shortly on the Costa Blanca in Spain and as the garden to the house has been neglected a bit we will need to rejuvenate it.
Seeing as we have rented up to now this is the first time we will have control of exactly what we can do which has us quite excited but at the same time means we will probably need all sorts of different advice.

Being originally from Australia it is quite nice to see a number of familiar plants planted here in Spain as I guess the climate is well suited to it so one area of info I hope to find is about Australian natives that I can plant in my garden here. Another area too would be Spanish natives.
Another thing that I have noticed living here is that it is extremely dry for most of the year so things like drought resistance and low water gardening springs to mind.

Any way I look forward to gaining some new knowledge and participating in the forum, any questions just ask!

Reaction score
Hi there! What a wonderful project you have in your hands! You must be feeling so excited! I'm sure you will have a lot work to do, but also lots of fun! I'm actually looking forward to you sharing some pics of the before and later ;) I'm sure it's going to be amazing! Btw, welcome to the forum :) I hope you enjoy your stay here and find the forum very useful :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome! You have chosen a gorgeous part of the earth to live in, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. What kind of gardens are you planning--decorative or edible, or both?
Here in Texas it gets dry, so we harvest rain water and sparingly water the gardens during the hot, dry summer.

Reaction score
Thank you both for the nice welcome!
Thanks Trellum, I definitely will share some pics once we get the keys. I'm quite looking forward to it too. Lots of work to do(reno work as well) but as it's our first house we are very enthused by it all.

Cheers marlingardner, it is a lovely area, we are closer to Alicante right now but the new house will be just a bit up in the foothills in a place called Busot.
We are thinking a bit of both, there is already a large plot on the land that has a few citrus and olive trees with more than enough spare space to do a veggie garden which will be good to get the kids involved and there are already a number of lesser landscaped areas to freshen up.
There are already some succulents various other plants there but they are on the verge of dying off so I intend to pull most of it and plant some new things.

One of the things that struck me was the smell of the Eucalyptus, Acacias and Bottlebrushes in the area which reminded me of home so I was thinking a mixture of Spanish and Australian flowering plants.

I know the house has a water deposit too so I will investigate that system when we are in, it doesn't rain a lot here but when it does it pours.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums

Been told it's too hot to grow Runner Beans out there :D

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hello HaSolar! Nice to meet you! I'm from Spain too, so I hope you feel great at our country ^__^ Australia sounds like a great place for gardening too and for live in :)
Welcome and have a nice stay.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Hello and welcome to the Gardening Forums. It sounds like you will be very busy in your new home but I'm sure you will enjoy every moment of it. This forum is a great place to share ideas, get information and meet some fabulous people. Good luck in your new home and enjoy the forum.:)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, welcome to the group. It does sound like you have some plans on your new space. Congrats on your new home. I am sure you are going to have some fun times ahead.

Ask a Question