GCSE DT coursework project- please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I am doing a project for my GCSE DT. I am designing something to transport hand held and longer handled tools around the garden. So I was wondering if you could tell me if you struggle with this issue and why, as well as what you currently do to try and solve the issue of carrying garden equipment.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Nope. I use this.

Screenshot_20190702-142703.png

And this.
Screenshot_20190702-143015.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @charliemiller and welcome to the forums.
I think that generally it is not so difficult to transport equipment around the garden.... my main problem is losing things. If only I could whistle my secateurs, or favourite trowel, like I can with the dogs :rolleyes:
Watching BBC's gardeners world programme this week however, was quite enlightening - if you missed it why not look on catch up... the presenter on there who uses a wheelchair had a great contraption for his tools that might interest you.
If your design could assist similar people with disabilities, you could be on to a winner (y)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Tetters is right, it was a very good article (y)

I just use a wheelbarrow :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Not if the handles hang over the wheelbarrow handles where one can get them between body and arms. But the wheelbarrow is to be carrying dirt so it is misused for tools. Its shape helps a shovel, at least the classic tub does anyway. Perhaps you could design some V shape flairing in the top edge of the nose, rear and sides such that vibrating tools find center as you wheel about. Nothing as dramatic as the fin on a 57 Chevy or a shark dorsal fin, but enough slope to slide a tool to the center.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We use a wheelbarrow too at home, but do you not find that if you have a very full load some of the tools, especially the long ones fall out?
I suppose you really have a good point there Charlie, and taking a lot of tools to the other side of our ground to do a major job probably would result in stuff falling out (making the likes of me swear a bit) :muted:
Maybe if the wheelbarrow had a contraption that fitted on to the front of the barrow, elevated and with notches in it, the longer tools could be placed, handle down into the bottom of the barrow with the heads above the notches - that would leave the rest of the base of the barrow free for all the smaller stuff.

If you think this might be a good idea, I will expect brownie points and a christmas card!! :happy:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Welcome to the forum from me too.

Our gardens are so steep if I put anything on the ground it heads at speed towards the valley bottom so things like wheelbarrows are a waste of time.

When I have lots of brash to bring down the garden to shred or dispose of I place either an old bed sheet or small tarpaulin on the ground; load these then gather two corners and use it like a sled; it works a treat.

Could you design something like a sling made out of say a tarpaulin and add handles; lay the tools on the sling and pick it up to carry the tools around; cheap and simple with few storage problems?

Good luck with your GCSE it sounds like an interesting project.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a million dollar idea for you to design. Make a frame about 2 feet long and two feet high. On each end put a broom holder to hold the handle in a horizontal position, put about 4 of these holders so that you can carry a shovel, hoe, rake and whatever. Something like this only using the simple metal spring clips.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello I am doing a project for my GCSE DT. I am designing something to transport hand held and longer handled tools around the garden. So I was wondering if you could tell me if you struggle with this issue and why, as well as what you currently do to try and solve the issue of carrying garden equipment.
Thank you!
Maybe something like a modified golf club bag. that is assuming one has to frequently move a large number of long tools around a rather large garden fairly often.

Ask a Question