Garlic and Onions

Reaction score
Ok this year was the first year we have planted garlic. We actually let it over-winter in the garden and when planting time rolled around in the Spring we also planted onions. They were not directly next to each other but they were rather close. Should this cause problems? Our onions did not turn out great this year and that is the only thing I can think of that might have caused it. Will onions and garlic cancel each other out or be bad companion plants?

Jed

Reaction score
There's no problems with growing them to each other. The only problem that I personally know is if the garlic you have has white root rot. It can be spread between any of the onion family especially if you plant them to close. The chances of you having the disease in your garlic is close to zero but it's an idea to watch out for it.
Also garlic is usually planted in autumn in cooler climates.
https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/garlic-not-so-invincible.193/#post-1768

Reaction score
There's no problems with growing them to each other. The only problem that I personally know is if the garlic you have has white root rot. It can be spread between any of the onion family especially if you plant them to close. The chances of you having the disease in your garlic is close to zero but it's an idea to watch out for it.
Also garlic is usually planted in autumn in cooler climates.
https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/garlic-not-so-invincible.193/#post-1768

Yikes! I have been putting my onion and garlic waste in my compost pile. I will stop doing this right now!

Ask a Question