Garlic and Onion Problem

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi.

This is my first time trying to grow onions and garlic.

I planted the garlic and onion before winter and they are about 5 months old now.

About 1 month ago I started noticing Aphids on some of them and tried to simply spray them off. This didn't work so I tried some soapy water which also didn't work. I got an organic based insect spray(garlic and chilli) and this killed off all the aphids.

However they planters have started looking very poor.

Cany anyone offer me any advice to how to recover these plants?

Stephen.

Attachments

• IMG20221003120400.jpg
    IMG20221003120400.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG20221003120406_01.jpg
    IMG20221003120406_01.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Your softneck garlic looks OK to me.
I don't know enough about growing onions in Australia, so perhaps you could help me with some information.
1) What is the minimum usual temperature where you are & when is it frosty, if at all?
2) What variety of onions have you grown & do you know what type of onions to grow there. I noticed that you planted them at the onset of winter.

It is far from certain that you have done anything wrong, but now that it's getting warm there, I'd be watering these planters twice a week.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
1. Min Temperature is 6c (42.8f) and it doesn't really frost but the last frost is early august.
2. the varieties are Yellow Spanish & Californian Red.

Yes I planted them about a month before winter started (may 2022) from seedlings I germinated a month before inside the house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
They hate heat here, it is their off season. It may well be a change of cycle. It is a time where the nutrients return to bulb and so too it can be harvest time. But you may also leave some of them. Garlic can be invasive and so saves you the work of planting. Here my onion fall over going into summer and raise new leaves as fall starts to arrive. We have an average night temp above freezing and no frost depth however and may well be warmer than your area.

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Actually, winter and just prior to the onset of it, here is prime time for onions and garlic to establish the vigorous root systems required to make big flavorful bulbs the following spring. Yours look fine to me and are both well on their way to making a good crop. I like to feed mine fish emulsion solution about every other week, and they respond extremely well to it.

I grow the California soft neck garlic also and require short day onions here at my latitude. The 1015 so called Texas legends in yellow and red perform spectacularly here but you may need a long day or immediate day onion for you.... but if you can grow short days, I really recommend the 1015 varieties.

Ask a Question