Gardens: Growing and Preservation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Anybody can grow vegetables to some degree. Fresh vegetables are wonderful, but in my climate I only have access for about four months. Preservation for the off season months is the other half of gardening.

Growth is usually excessive, since most produce matures at the same time or in a very small window. Most of the postings are of lush growth and what is done with the excess is left to the imagination.

What is my thrust? True gardening is Growing and Preserving.

My home garden produces almost all vegetables preserved for all year around. I also buy from local growers some
produce that I don't grow. Not only that I preserve in such a manner that it is palatable and desirable to ingest.

Slurry/Juice pressure canned, some cold room storage, a bit frozen, a bit of dehydrating, a bit of fermenting. What I preserve can almost be lived on. And it is not particlarly hard labout or tedious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Method of preservation or defeating Percy? I will be dehydrating, pressure canning and freezing the produce. As for Percy, I am not sure - I am working on it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
23 August 2017 Canning to Date (Pressure Canning)
Posted on August 23, 2017 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2017/August%202017/23%20August%202017%20Canning%20to%20Date/HTML/lentils%20006.htm 23 August 2017 Canning to Date
My stock of Pressure Canned produce totals 192 liters to date. The material is in liter jars in boxes containing 12 jars.
Produce consists of:peaches,Tomato,Vegetables,Corn,Blueberry,Green Bean,Gooseberry,Green Pea,Black Currant.
Still to accumulate is Concord grapes, Pears, Apples, Elderberry, Cranberry, Sweet potatos.
lentils%20006_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
13 August 2019 Tomato Juice
Posted on August 13, 2019 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2019/August 2019/13 August 2019 Tomato Juice/HTML/ 13 August 2019 Tomato Juice
Tomatoes were picked from the garden from 24 plants of various types. Each tomato was perfect. A total of 13 liters of juice was obtained and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage at room temperature.
Process was: Wash and cut into quarters, cook about 20 minutes until soft and make into a slurry with a hand blender. Strain the juice through a 2mm mesh hand processor or similar. Put the residue through a Champion Juicer to extract all nutrients. The juice is then placed in liter jars and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 Minutes. My canner takes 7 jars so two batches were necessary.
dsc_2070_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
20 September 2019 Concord Grape Juice
Posted on September 20, 2019 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2019/September 2019/20 September 2019 Concord Grape Juice/HTML/ 20 September 2019 Concord Grape Juice
Twenty pounds of one vine concord grapes was made into 11 liters of pressure canned juice. The brix of the grapes was 16. Processing procedure was wash, remove grapes from substrate by swiping across a mesh,place in cooking pot, make into a slurry, strain 2mm mesh to remove seeds, pressure can at 15 psi for 15 minutes for long term storage.
dsc_3139_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
14 July 2019 Removing Cherry Pits (New Method)
Posted on July 14, 2019 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2019/July 2019/14 July 2019 Removing Cherry Pits/HTML/ 14 July 2019 Removing Cherry Pits (New Method)
My one cherry tree produced about 20 pounds of cherries, which was processed into pressure canned juice in two batches. The first batch pits were removed using a one time tool, which was found to be tedious. Experimenting a better way had to be found. It is presented here.Production was 7 liter jars or about 2 pounds of cherries per liter of juice.
The pitting method: Clean the cherries. Place in a large pot I had about ten pounds. Cover with water. Boil gently for about ten minutes. This softens the cherries.Drain the water and set aside. Dump the Cherries on a screen mesh about 1/4 mesh and massage by hand or a tool. The musk will pass through the screen and the pits will separate and stay on the screen.Mix the musk with the saved water and process into juice using the typical method. For juice making this is ideal.
dsc_1281_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Durgan , I'm always impressed by your gardening and preserving topics. If love to grow that much of my own produce and preserve it for year round use. Time is one factor. My wife and I both work, have three young kids and too many hobbies. Climate is another factor. It's hot and humid here almost year round, root cellars aren't t really an option (basements in general don't exist here) and space indoors isn't feasible in our home (not in quantities required anyway).

Excuses aside, it's my dream to do more. I currently do some water bath canning for pickles, jalapenos and the like. Will freeze some peppers as well. I have onions growing this year and looks like I'll get some good ones (maybe a dozen, nothing on your scale), so I'd love to do some onion relish. I'd also like to do salsa with the tomatoes, peppers and onions. If I can can a few jars of salsa that would make me happy for this year.

In a few years (less than three to go!) I plan to be semi retired and up my garden game a bit! Thanks for all the great tips and info on preserving the harvest!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I started from scratch more or less. There was or is very little real useful information on the Internet. Much is babble without substance. Now I consider myself a home preserving expert. Ego almost as large as Trump's. Depending upon size there is often machinery to reduce y labour somewhat and often not too expensive..

I consider soil to be paramount for a starter. I have clay and trucked in city compost over ten years or so to modify and have a great deal of success now. Also I learned by experimentation how much of any plant to grow to meet my preservation requirements.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
random question regarding juicing. can you add seasonings to it? like old bay and maybe horseradish? if so you could have your own homemade bloody mary mix year round.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
What is the garden size? I’m curious about how much area, the total footprint, it takes to get enough produce to last most of the year.
rs, h
I estimate 2000 square feet. Good soil. Carrots, beets, kale, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, potatoes,cucumbers,green beans,basil,onion.cabbage,cauliflower, Brussels spouts,broccoli, lettuce. I slurry/juice most for long term storage. Of course eat fresh,but this is only a small amount.

Th size 2000 square feet is ideal but even 1000 square feet by prudent spacing one can grow a lot of food.

Last edited:

Ask a Question