Gardening with children

Reaction score
I would like to find an easy gardening task for my daughter and I. Any ideas of fun things I can do with her in the garden? Or a good way to start out with her?

Reaction score
Well, the way my dad started teaching me about gardening was by bringing me cuttings and encouraging me to put some dirt in the pots and place the cuttings there or directly on the soil. hat made me feel so useful and like I was doing such an important thing! I loved it! You could try doing that with your daughter. I'd actually love doing that with whatever cutting we got and do that together.

Reaction score
That actually sounds like a good idea. I will have to try it. I am sure she will love it and love to help mommy out any way she can. She absolutely loves to help me with everything.

Reaction score
Yeah, please do :) That's how my love for plants started... from filling ports with some dirt to placing cuttings and such in the pots. At first I only thought of getting the task done, but later I started loving it and then it became a hobby.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I started with my children by asking them digging a hole in the dirt, and give them potted plants to put in. I found cucumbers and green beans are the greatest starter since they can actually pick the veggies themselves. They got excited and happy to do that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
the absolute best way to hook a kid, of any age, is the age old dixie cup with a half cup of soil and two bean seeds...wet it, put it in the sun and in a few days you will have a "sprout", then a leaf or two, then a plant. At that point you can take it outdoors, show them and then have them dig a hole, loosen the soil and replant the little seedling. It is now their's - they need to check on it, water it - when needed and let you know if they need help with weeds, or answer questions.

Then when it actually has a bean pod or two, you can show them how to prepare the beans for eating, or you can strip the seeds and let them dry for another plant.

Once beans are under control, then the same with cukes, peppers and tomatoes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I would like to find an easy gardening task for my daughter and I. Any ideas of fun things I can do with her in the garden? Or a good way to start out with her?
If gardening interest is inbuilt then kids themselves will automatically get the hang of it. I remember my kid days. I would even spend my pocket money to buy seeds and plants, pull out plants from way side bins and even check if roots had developed by pulling out what I had planted. :)

Ask a Question