Gardening is so depressing.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ever since moving into this bungalow 30 years ago I've been working flat out repairing and upgrading it; all during this time I've been absolutely sick of our dire climate with its rain etc but I've always managed to carry on.

Last year I finally caught up and the bungalow was finished to a high standard letting me finally get into the gardens which by now were overgrown and needing lots of work. I was eagerly looking forward to getting out in the fresh air and I've never been scared of hard work; I've kept attacking the gardens each year but now I wanted to do some serious gardening and make the gardens as nice as the bungalow; boy I sure had high hopes.

All last year the rain seldom let up; I worked feeling miserable all the time I was in the garden; the seasons all merged into one as the rain came down and in what was supposed to be our summer I was working wearing heavy coat; hat; wellies and gloves with temperatures in single figures and a prevailing wind constantly buffeting me around; slimy slugs and snails kept me company as I slid around working on the steep garden; gloves were constantly soaking wet as I built retaining walls and the timber I bought to make the new shed with was the heaviest timber I've ever had the misfortune to use it being so wet it could have been stored in a pond for years; as I drove screws home water oozed out of the timber; I received endless soakings; during heavy work the coat kept out the rain and wind but the sweat built up so I was still wet.

I've never been a quitter and having started work in the garden I was going to complete the work whatever was thrown at me; I removed two very long big hedges shredding these between downpours of rain; the hedge at the top of the garden I set about and dug up all the many stumps and roots together with lots of stones and other debris; large areas of grass I turned over as big sods; brambles; masses of English Ivy; lots of mile a minute vine; nettles and bracken all yielded to my efforts; a mature holly tree I felled and shredded then I spent a lot of effort and frustration as I dug up the big stump having to remove a section of garden retaining wall; the wall I rebuilt then I dug a big wedge out of the hillside flagging this to accept the new shed; dozens of self planted oak and holly were removed; four compost bins were bought and four sites levelled to accept these; a new cold frame was made; I installed a shelf in the shed up the garden and sowed lavender seeds; Laurels were trimmed and lots of shredding carried out all the while in terrible conditions.

I've felled and disposed of 80' tall trees and a number of 30' tall trees; the Laurels at the bottom of the garden were 30' tall these are now 3' tall; I did a huge amount of digging by spade and my lovely wife Bron bought me a delightful Hyundai rotavator for Christmas; I bought other gardening kit and I really did give it my all. The first and only time I tried to use the rotavator it bogged down and if this year continues as last year I might as well sell the rotavator.

I'm a guy and can only concentrate on one job at a time I can't multitask and I don't want to try; my engineering training is still very much with me in that I was taught to do one job at a time but to do the job to the very best of my ability. When I finally got into the garden I was concentrating hard and planning the work I wanted to carry out; our climate is terrible and I'm unable to do the jobs I want to do in the garden; I've received so many soakings and recently I've done lots of digging with temperatures hovering just above freezing whilst being blown around by a chilling breeze; this type of gardening is more of a punishment than a pleasure and I'm very unhappy. The rear garden is big but I dare not erect a greenhouse because it would involve lots of groundwork due to the steepness and also local low life would enjoy throwing stones; if this wasn't bad enough the high wind would possibly destroy a greenhouse.

Yes this is a miserable thread but then I'm miserable and fed up of spending days; weeks and months waiting for better weather to arrive; it's snowing a bit here at the moment but if it isn't snow then it will be more rain; I would be happy with ten feet deep snow drifts in winter and accept it but this bad weather here the year round is a real garden spoiler. I planted over 200 daffodil bulbs and the only pleasure so far is seeing these growing but I expect they will be buried in snow shortly.

It's so unlike me to be miserable or depressed but this gardening is getting me down so rather than sit on my backside constantly moaning about it now is the time I cheered myself up; I'm unable to do gardening in comfort so I think I now need to go back to workshop projects and switch off from gardening; in spite of the bad weather last year I carried out a great deal of gardening work but I wasn't happy.

Yesterday I was browsing eBay and Gumtree looking at engineering lathes; a lathe down in Bedford caught my eye and at £1,000 it will be a nice toy; my current lathe a very expensive and rare Lorch Schmidt runs on flat drive belts and I have little tooling for it because of its non standard taper drives; most modern lathes have Morse tapers and tooling is readily available for these; I also have the option of making my own or adapting tooling for the Lorch and I could convert the Lorch to VFD (Inverter) drive; I've tried my best at gardening wanting to adopt gardening as my main hobby for a couple of years but I'm going to revert back to wood/metalworking where this climate can still annoy but can't get at me.

I've no intention of quitting this forum so it's highly likely I'll be boring you all with stories from the workshop with perhaps the odd gardening story weather permitting. Once I get cracking on an interesting project in the workshop the sun will come out and Huddersfield will be plunged into drought conditions. I feel better already; now I need to decide what to do regarding my lathes.

A few pictures below to show my kind of gardening including a bit of rare sunshine as I had to wait for a calm day in order to fell the tree. If I carry on being stubborn working in these gardening conditions I think I deserve pneumonia? I can't even wash the car.

Many thanks for putting up with me and for your patience; much appreciated.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00182.jpg
Rear garden (1).jpg
Rear garden (3).jpg
Rear garden (4).JPG
Rear garden (5).JPG
Rear garden (7).JPG
Rear garden (8).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear you've been feeling this way @Colin :( The UK weather certainly can be pretty miserable, so you've done well to endure it for so long. Judging by your photos you seem to have a large garden on a very steep slope, it makes my knees ache just looking at it! You need to stop being so hard on yourself - gardens are there to be enjoyed, and if you are not enjoying it then you are doing the right thing by making a change. Would it be possible to get a contractor in for the bigger jobs so that you can enjoy doing the rest? Just a thought.

We're always here for you when you need to chat / vent (y)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Becky for your kindness and suggestions; I'm sorry to be so depressing here on the forum because generally I like to encourage people to have a go at hobbies.

Bron and I live on a very steep valley side exposed to extremes of weather; unfortunately it is very rare for us to enjoy extreme heat/sunshine. Yes our rear garden is large and its also mature with lots of lovely trees etc attracting wildlife. It makes everything ache working in the garden and I've often said I could do with one leg longer than the other in order to stand upright; to add to the fun I had my left knee cap amputated in 1970 but it's so long ago I don't even notice it now.

Your suggestion regarding getting contractors in for the bigger jobs is excellent and funds aren't a problem however I enjoy grafting and big jobs are never a problem to me but it's this terrible climate that I cannot stand; the bad weather has been with us now for years; being cold isn't nice but after a bit of work I soon warm up it's the amount of rain we suffer which gets me down; our gardens never dry out and we are on such a steep slope where lots of the water runs off. Bron and I can drive three miles from home and the climate changes; it dries out and the temperature is a few degrees higher; often we've been over to Sheffield and it's been glorious sun there but returning home we run back into this miserable weather; we feel to be under our own personal black cloud hence I call the cloud "Blackie". It's unlikely this weather is going to improve so I need to shake off this feeling of depression and be happy getting involved in something I can do in comfort and peace; I've even been considering joining a woodturning club because I enjoy all aspects of wood and metalwork.

I've now been retired (?) for 17 years and last year and so far this year is the only time I've felt so down; I won't feel like this much longer though because I will stop banging my head against the gardening wall and do something to cheer me up; it's highly frustrating having such a big garden and not being able to enjoy it; I've got lots of decent gardening kit; petrol chainsaw; petrol and cordless hedge trimmers; petrol mower; large electric shredder and even the new petrol rotavator; I'm not scared of work; all I now need is a force field right over our property then I would never moan again.

Bron lived with her late parents in the valley bottom before marrying me and the weather down there was a lot different to the bad weather up here; in a way I'm moaning when in fact we live nearer the bottom of the valley; those living higher up must really suffer. If we enjoyed a decent summer each year I could put up with winter.

Bron and I have talked about moving but we have put 30 years of our lives into our home and it's beautiful; the steep gardens add character and it's delightful to look out over the valley with its panoramic views to the front and to look out of our kitchen window up the rear garden seeing the wildlife that we encourage and feed; into each life a little rain must fall but not the amount of rain we suffer although it's turned to light snow over the last couple of days.

Thanks also Becky for your kind offer; yes I intend to remain a forum member because this forum is tops having so many wonderful members; please put your hankies away because I'm not suicidal I'm just so annoyed I can't do any job outside in comfort.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
So sorry to hear that you are feeling a bit down at the moment @Colin , taking a well earned break from your garden sounds like the best medicine(y)

My hubs suffered the same. When we moved into our cottage ,which was over a 100yrs old and very dilapidated, he set out drawing up building plans ( although he is not in the building or architecture business at all)
Finally along with one builder he set about building it during the weekends only and often worked alone in the evenings after coming home from work.......it took years of hard work and utter dedication.

As our children arrived, although exhausted he battled on to provide us all with our beautiful tailor made home.

The garden was the next challenge, and over the years it was designed to fit many purposes.......football pitch for our boys and their adventure playground.,then it became a safe playing, learning and exploring environment for the very small children that attended my Children's Daycare Setting....that lasted for 24 yrs !

Now in retirement ( well semi for me:)) the garden is now just for us.....at long last!!! We are constantly revising it to meet our ageing capabilities......mainly for me due my arthritis, which I have had since young.
My advice to anyone embarking on a long term project........have realistic expectations...pace yourself.......listen to your body...have family times, .......take plenty of rest breaks(y):),

Take care , best wishes to you and Bron.

Here are a few pics, the ones of the house are taken from the same position.
IMG_20180206_115657.jpg
IMG_20180206_121213.jpg
IMG_20180206_120500.jpg
IMG_20180206_121308.jpg
IMG_20180206_121322.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180206_121351.jpg
    IMG_20180206_121351.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 152

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Upsy Daisy for your kindness; I'll not feel down for long; all I need is a decent project to get stuck into in the workshop. :)

WOW; building your home must have been an enormous undertaking and looking at its size I can well understand the time and effort that it took before its completion; very top marks to your hubby and to you too Upsy Daisy it must have been a struggle but look at it now; you've brought your family up in it and now you can enjoy your time in it; the well laid out and neat garden suits it very well indeed you must both be so proud of your achievement; I'm well impressed. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes this is a miserable thread but then I'm miserable and fed up of spending days; weeks and months waiting for better weather to arrive; it's snowing a bit here at the moment

Colin, winter is a depressing time for any gardener. :( If you started gardening at (or around) the same time you joined the forum - you just activated your interest a little early, that's all. I go through it every winter, you simply can't garden when it's snowing!

Every year, I want to start my plants too early. I read people's threads/posts saying what they've started, or already have growing, and it gets me every time! :nailbiting: :nailbiting: I want to go to the shed and get my potting soil, I want to get my starter pots, I want to get my seeds started, I want to get out my shovel and trowel, I want to turn over the dirt in the garden, I want to... Yes, this time of year - I'd be joyously happy pulling weeds!!! :joyful:

I have to wait. (SIGH...)

:banghead: I know what happens if I start them now. They never get a good start, they get leggy and fall over, and sometimes they die before they ever feel the wind in their leaves. :cry:

It gets better, I promise, you just have to wait. ;)

And wait, and wait... sigh. :meh:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@Colin I think focusing on the wood/metal work is a great idea. I was asked by a few friends how I managed to stay upbeat while I was out of action last year, and I realised that I unknowingly subscribe to a philosophy called Stoicism. It's more than being stoic, it's about how you react to what life throws at you. That is to say, you can't always control what happens to you, but you can control how you deal with it. Marcus Aurelius was a famous stoic, and his writings are still very popular today - might be worth a look if you fancy a motivational / thought-provoking read.

marcusaurelius1-2x.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Agree, agree @MaryMary,(y)(y)(y)

How many times have I weakened to the temptation of starting seeds early.....only to get tall leggy plants often with additional powdery mildew too!

This time last year I was in the middle of a 3 month recovery period after having surgery.......and this meant that I couldn't even think about seed sowing. For the first time ever I had to start a lot later ( for me!) late March / early April and I had the best ever results, 100% germination, nice bushy plants, no mildew, and the icing on the cake for me was that I didn't have to start any off indoors!!:):)
So I am holding back this year in the hopes of repeating last year's success.

Hang on in there @Colin ....you know where I am if you fancy a chat.....pm me(y):)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How many times have I weakened to the temptation of starting seeds early.....only to get tall leggy plants often with additional powdery mildew too!

I know that I can't plant anything outside 'til the middle of May. One year, I went absolutely crazy, :wtf: I just couldn't stand it anymore :arghh: .... I started my seeds in late January!! Never again. Waste of time, waste of seeds, and it all ended in tears.

So I am holding back this year in the hopes of repeating last year's success.

I'll wait with you! Stay strong, Upsy Daisy!! (y)

Hey Colin, maybe you could make yourself a gardening tool? I've been reading your threads about the steep slope you have... maybe a broadfork would be handy for the places it is too steep for your tiller? You have the unique luxury of being able to custom make it for your needs and height!! :cool:

Have a look, they come in all sorts of varieties: https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...spart=pty&hsimp=yhs-pty_email&type=emaff_0_ff

;) Might keep you busy 'til you're able to use it!! (y) :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Colin, I once heard it said that if gardening were easy everyone would be a farmer. The one thing I have noticed about farming is you can do everything right and still be defeated. I have often read your posts about Blackie and Gale and wondered how you tolerated your environment. I think you are smart to step away from the soil and get back to machining for a while. I look forward to seeing some of your projects. I will make a prediction here though - it won't be long before you have dirt under your fingernails again. :sneaky:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Colin, when we moved here to the farm we had 7' weeds in the barn lot; I had to cut down saplings to remove the auto tires they had grown up in; we took out several construction garbage bags of trash from around the pond, the barn was a trash heap, and the spring we moved here was the rainiest on record! Mother Nature was not on our side, but we shoved her aside and did what we could, when we could.
Hang in there. Things will get better (including your weather), and a garden is a joy. However, taking a break is not a bad thing--in your case it will likely result in some wonderful project that will make you proud and happy!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I wish I were there when you felled that tree. The aroma of the conifer wood must be fabulous. I wood freshly cut wood smell.

There are tons of things to do even when the weather is depressing. If you can't beat them, join them. Have a pond .. plant something which like moisture, for example, meconopsis

upload_2018-2-6_19-54-28.jpeg

images

images

You can do a lot with your kind of weather.

Ask a Question