Gardening in Philadelphia Winter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I'm new to gardening in general, but have some basic stuff (tomatoes, etc.) growing well here right now. I'm wondering what I could plant around late September (by seed) that might have a chance of sprouting and surviving the Winter. I'm open to literally anything (vines, grasses, anything), as long as they have a chance of staying green(-ish) through the Winter. The sunlight level is basically "full sun" (no surrounding buildings, trees, etc.), though of course that light will be minimal during the Winter. I just want to be able to plant it from seed (personal preference), and am willing to pay to order it from wherever (seedman, parkseed, smartseeds, etc.). Does such a plant exist?

Thanks!

Tyler

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! :)

Do you know your hardiness zone? I am not overly familiar with Philadelphia winters... We do have some members from around there, maybe one of them will come along...

I have a perennial poppy that stays green most of the winter, but if you want to grow from seed - start it now! It'll probably need a good root system - I bought mine. :unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I did a quick google search and you average low temperature during the winter is about 26F, so about the only thing that will stay green are evergreen shrubs, trees and ornamental grasses. Your best bet is to go to a real nursery and talk to them as to what will grow in your local area

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm in a northern zone...you can find your USDA hardiness zone here:
http://www.planthardiness.ars.usda.gov

Not much you can plant from seed in fall that will survive winter. Some bulbs and such, sure. I definitely agree with the suggestion to ask at local garden centers (NOT big box or chain stores!)

You will probably need to start seeds indoors in very early spring for most edible/hot weather plants, in your zone.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, thanks so much for the quick responses - very helpful :) We're in zone 4-5, so definitely get some nasty freezes, but we continue to get true rain occasionally throughout the Winter. Chuck, what types of ornamental grasses were you thinking of? I really want to grow from seed, so that might be my only option...

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi all, thanks so much for the quick responses - very helpful :) We're in zone 4-5, so definitely get some nasty freezes, but we continue to get true rain occasionally throughout the Winter. Chuck, what types of ornamental grasses were you thinking of? I really want to grow from seed, so that might be my only option...

Thanks again!
I live in south texas so I don't know what is available in your area. All I can tell you for sure is that if you planted seed today it would be iffy if it survived at all. Your best bet is to go to a local (real) nursery and ask their advice

Ask a Question