Gardening good for your soul or good for your mind?

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I was wondering what your thoughts were in regards to this question: Do you think gardening is good for your soul or rather good for your mind? I tend to think it is good for your soul because you connect with nature in a very unique way and therefore show your appreciation with your commitment and care for it. This has a positive effect on your soul. You feel good afterwards. What do you think? I am curious :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Ah - I would have to say both! I love the soul filling feeling that I get from gardening - but I also think it's great for my mind. If I'm stressed or upset or frustrated or angry - getting into the garden helps clear my mind and refocus on what can be fixed. They always say gardening is cheaper than therapy and I think there's quite a bit of truth to that statement!

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Whatever affects the soul will definitely affect the mind. So I believe gardening is good for both the mind and soul.

The truth is there is nothing as beautiful as the love for nature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
Yes, gardening is definitely good therapy for the mind as well as the soul. On the whole, I find that being outdoors gives me a positive feeling, and especially if there is a moderate amount of sunlight. I have always heard that sunlight is very good for one's overall health, physical as well as emotional. Pulling up weeds, tilling the soil or watering the plants can enhance one's sense of well-being since it is taking care of nature. You get a sense of satisfaction from doing this knowing that you are contributing to the health of the plants as well as beautifying your surroundings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I also would say both, I work out in the garden and I forget about my health problems and other worries. my mind is clear and all I think about is the gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It seems to be good for my mind mainly. I just had a kiddo and like every other new parent I started googling ever so for cough and sneeze and hiccup. I stopped "researching" babies and started researching plants and it helps me keep focused on important things like making my baby smile.

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Thank you so much for sharing all your thoughts about this.
The soul is definitely connected to the mind.
Gardening is deeply connected with taking care of the nature but also taking care of ourselves and with that our families....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
My heart sings when I go my the garden after work. When I'm in the greenhouse, I forget my problems, my husband's problems, money problems. There are only my plants and me.
But I believe my mind gets new knowledge. I read gardening books and watch garden program. I decide a lot of garden problems. I try grafting tree. And it was successful! So gardening is a pleasure for the soul and for the mind.

Ask a Question