Gardening as meditation

Reaction score
Everyone who even notices gardens is aware of some of the benefits, such as the aesthetic value, the improved property value (or at least curb appeal) for houses being sold, and the fresh produce from vegetable and herb gardens. I think for gardeners, though, there are also unseen benefits.

For example, my little patch of veggies is a safe and sacred space. If I go to the garden to retreat from an argument or something that has made me angry, I weed. It helps the garden, and helps me get my aggression out in a positive sort of way. If I need to work through a problem, I can work on repairing the holes in the fence that the rabbits have made, or do the other small mending type tasks that need doing, like making sure the beans or tomatoes are supported. Sometimes it's good to just sit there with growing things and soak up the sun.

Of course, prior to all that, there's the feeling of accomplishment for having built a space for your garden, whether that involves assembling and placing boxes for raised beds, locating containers for container gardens, or turning the soil and pulling the rocks from an in-ground garden. You know you've done something real, and meaningful, when you build a garden.

I've also discovered that the size of the garden doesn't make a difference in the sacred value of it. I get as much joy and wonder from a small herb garden in the kitchen window as I do from a landscaping project or a vegetable garden. I do have to admit the veggie garden does feed me all summer, so that is one more point in its favor from a strictly material point of view, but even then, there is something healing about consuming produce you helped bring to fruit.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is good to have a garden that produces food. The flower garden can also produce some food if it is the right type of flowers. I like my flowers too much to eat them. I agree that the garden is a form of meditation. When I get upset I like to go to the garden and pull weeds to relieve the stress.

Reaction score
There are so many psychological benefits to any type of gardening. You hit the nail on the head when you talked about the sense of accomplishment that it can produce. That is the main reason I like to grow things. I haven't tried gardening when angry, that may be just the ticket after reading the daily news, for instance! That always makes me mad, lol! I'll give it a try next time I want to blow off some steam.

Reaction score
Gardening when angry! Yes. it really works. Years ago I had a 'run in' with a traffic warden & was so so angry I didn't even dare risk coming home on the main road & perhaps losing concentration so I had to come over the back roads instead. Still incandescent & really quite restless I went out & turned the compost heap over 'burying' said warden at the bottom - metaphorically speaking of course. The following spring I had the best heap of fine compost I've ever had before or since.

Reaction score
I definitely think that the main benefit of gardening is the joy that comes from it. It gives you something to do when you are mad, stressed, upset, sad or just have a lot on your mind, and the feeling of accomplishment can really add joy to your day. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I noticed that taking care of my roses calms me down. I can really relax when I'm pruning them, watering them or wash their leaves. Looking at them makes me feel better. Whenever I need something to cheer me up, I go to my roses:)

Reaction score
Gardening is very therapeutic. In fact, I think all yard work is mentally beneficial, including lawn mowing. :p

I love when the entire family gets involved with planting, mowing, weeding or anything involving the yard.

Ask a Question