Gardenia spots on the leaves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Spain
Hi!

This is my first post on this forum. My name is José and I'm from Spain, near to Madrid. I'll try to give you the more information I can. I bought a very little gardenia in March. The gardenia has not grown too much. The new leaves always grow with some deformations and/or with some spots, but recently the spots are tending more and more with the wet weather. I have another gardenia since July and it's perfect.

More information: We have a csa climate with hot and dry summer, moderate wet winter with some frost (I can protect them) and variable spring and autumn. The potting soil is acidic, our water is very soft and I always water it with a small amount of citric acid to obtain a pH around 5 when the soil surface is dry.

Thank you very much!

March:

20200406_180657.jpg

Now:

20201023_133722.jpg
20201023_133733.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with @Logan regarding the watering. You say though that your other plant is doing well, and that makes me suspect that there might have been a problem in the nursery where you bought the first plant. It looks like that has had some insect damage or disease, before it got to you. You do need to watch for spider mite and mealy bugs. Spider mite is the most likely. When the plant is dry, try putting a piece of white paper under the leaves and give them a shake. Carefully fold the paper over and squash it flat. When you open it, if there are red dots on the paper - you have spider mites, so treat accordingly.
By the way, welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Spain
Hi @Ataecina and welcome to the forums
It could be water damage if you water from the top or poor drainage.

I agree with @Logan regarding the watering. You say though that your other plant is doing well, and that makes me suspect that there might have been a problem in the nursery where you bought the first plant. It looks like that has had some insect damage or disease, before it got to you. You do need to watch for spider mite and mealy bugs. Spider mite is the most likely. When the plant is dry, try putting a piece of white paper under the leaves and give them a shake. Carefully fold the paper over and squash it flat. When you open it, if there are red dots on the paper - you have spider mites, so treat accordingly.
By the way, welcome to the forum :)

Thank you both very much. I haven't seen mealy bugs in the plant. Also I did the paper tip but I couldn't see anything. Anyway today I transplanted the gardenia cleaning the old soil and using one with a lot of perlite, better drainage and quality. Also I used a dormant oil just in case. I guess the gardenia won't like change but in the long term, it is best for it :LOL:

Greetings!!

Ask a Question