Gardenia help. Some are good. Some are not.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Newbie here. Planted some gardenias in the spring. They are along my fence line. They all get about 4-5 hours of sun light a day. They have all been watered the same and fertilized the same. Of the 8 we planted. A couple seem a little yellow and wimpy. Photos attached. Pic of healthy. Pic on unhealthy. Pic of both side by side.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Any advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Chipmunks?

Dogs? I had boxwoods once and the boy dog hiked his leg on the same one every day. Took me a while to realise why that one was sickly while the adjacent shrubs were fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Huh. Then I got nothing.

I wonder if it's just a case of innate immune systems. Can some plants, like some animals or people have congenitally poor immune systems that render them sickly?

I'd talk to wherever you got them from. Most garden centers have some sort of guarantee and any decent one will honor it even if you no longer have the receipt.

You're sure no chipmunks or other burrowing critter? The burrow holes can be really hard to see. Or not close to the plants even. You don't say where you live, which may be helpful.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll check with the chipmunks. I have seen them running around from time to time. What am I looking for?

I live right north of Atlanta Ga.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Little bitty holes in the ground, often quite well-hidden. Not sure that's your problem mind you (I hate to advocate killing critters unless absolutely necessary!) but it would explain the random nature of the damage.

Google GA + chipmunk damage and see if anything resonates?

Ask a Question