Garden watering

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Iowa... we usually have pretty hot and humid summers...
Can anyone give me any insight into exactly how often I should water? Or should I just go by how wet or dry the soil is?
Pretty new to gardening, sorry...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in Iowa... we usually have pretty hot and humid summers...
Can anyone give me any insight into exactly how often I should water? Or should I just go by how wet or dry the soil is?
Pretty new to gardening, sorry...
Just about all vegetable plants will wilt or droop when thirsty. But there is a trick to knowing when a plant actually needs water. In the hot afternoon sun the plants will wilt but that doesn't necessarily mean that the plant needs water. If a plant is wilted or droopy in the cool AM hours it does need watering. And when you water a plant, really water it. You cannot overwater a plant but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just about all vegetable plants will wilt or droop when thirsty. But there is a trick to knowing when a plant actually needs water. In the hot afternoon sun the plants will wilt but that doesn't necessarily mean that the plant needs water. If a plant is wilted or droopy in the cool AM hours it does need watering. And when you water a plant, really water it. You cannot overwater a plant but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often.
Thank you so much for your reply! That's really helpful!

Ask a Question