Garden Tiller

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I am going to be expanding my garden so I am looking into buying a garden tiller to help take care of some of the extra work. Do you guys have any suggestions or advice when shopping for a garden tiller? Which brands are the best, what features should I look for, etc.?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
How much you'll need to spend probably depends upon your soil type and how much area it has to cover.
If you have a small garden, it's likely you'll get away with an electric one; if you're the Marquis of Bath, perhaps not.

Reaction score
This all really depends on the type of work you plan on doing with the tiller, ex. weeding, breaking new ground, etc. Based on what you said about expanding your garden, I would guess you will be breaking new ground, which would require a garden tiller with more power, such as a mid or rear-tine tiller. I would take some time and do some research. One place I found some good information was Tillers Direct. They have a decent selection of garden tillers, along with buyer's guides you will probably find helpful. The Garden of Oz is also a good place to look. Lots of good information on gardening and tillers.

Reaction score
If you live in the US, Tractor Supply has decent prices on tillers. We bought ours at RKO (Rural King Ohio), but I shopped around online first and almost wished I'd went with TSC after a couple little issues.
We bought about the biggest front tine that we could find, and it does a great job at breaking new ground and reworking ground. The biggest thing is dragging it backwards is a bit awkward sometimes. I almost like it better than the mid-tine (front moving) tiller that we have at work, and did prefer it until I got used to the other one. I know mine had to be a good deal less expensive, though.

Reaction score
I wanted to get one too, but I'm not sure if I just want to rent one instead. I wouldn't even know how much to pay for one. I think that one would be great to have though.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
There are loads of great tiller brands out there, it simply all comes down to what you are looking to use your tiller for. Will you be weeding or breaking ground, what size is the range of area you are working with, and so on.?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 5hp Einhell rotovator/tiller.
When the soil isn't too damp, I can rotovate my allotment in a morning/afternoon.

If you want to till flowerbeds, it's too big, get a mantiss type.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Anything that needs to be tilled on a large scale I'll rent one for the day. To have a big piece of equipment taking up prime real estate in my garage or shed to be used once in a blue moon, just ain't worth it. I do have a Honda mini tiller that I use all summer long tho.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
As I have in my avatar, I use my mom's mantis, it is at least 8 or 10 years old, but we have taken good care of it and it does a GREAT job on any tilling. I have done her whole plot, about 12 x24 feet and then do weeding with it during the season. It is aggressive and a power house. And it can be used at slower speeds in tight spaces and flower gardens with ease. It does require cleaning the tines when you are doing a fresh spot, but that is simple to do as well. It is very light and can be carried easily or put in the trunk of the car.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is mine in action greenthumb. I really love this little thing and still going strong after a couple of months. Qualcast 700W.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Too easy Durgan!! seriously though, it never occurred to me :) Will give that a go next time. Cheers

Ask a Question