Garden Spiders

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
DSC00181.JPG
I have a number of Golden-orb spiders (see image of one eating a bug) gracing my yard and garden. They are beautiful creatures and do not bother people. I understand that you can force one to bite you if you try hard enough, but they really just want to keep out of your way. I also occasionally have marbled orb weavers and crown of thorn orb weavers (which I call smiley face spiders because of their cute designs on their backs) These all are harmless to people and eat bugs. Does anyone else tolerate these lovely visitors to your gardens?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have lots of Argiopes, and if their zig-zag web isn't going to be a hazard to walking, I leave them to it! Many a grasshopper has met its end in an Argiope web.
Argiope with Grasshopper.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
We have lots of Argiopes, and if their zig-zag web isn't going to be a hazard to walking, I leave them to it! Many a grasshopper has met its end in an Argiope web.View attachment 3663
We sometimes get a these writing spiders as well. The golden orb web is easily visible due to it's very strong golden support strands.The other spider shown above looks like the very shy marbled ord weaver we sometimes get. They run to their hiding space whenever you get near them.

Reaction score
Never seen those before. For being a bug I must say those golden orb spiders are really beautiful, I'd not like to get too close to them tho :) I can't tolerate spiders inside the house tho, at least not the big ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Never seen those before. For being a bug I must say those golden orb spiders are really , I'd not like to get too close to them tho :) I can't tolerate spiders inside the house tho, at least not the big ones.
I don't think the golden orb or the writing spider would want to be inside your house, either. I have golden orb spiders in the breezeway between my house back door and my garage. I leave the light on at night for security purposes and the spiders love that since they get plenty to eat. They also give extra security. They won't attack human robbers, but some of them don't know that. And they keep Papal Cross spiders away, who are very undesirable spiders..

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very interesting education on spiders. I have not seen either of the spiders displayed here in my area outside, but then again I have not been looking for them either. Thanks for sharing, I will now look for useful spiders in the yard.

Reaction score
I don't think the golden orb or the writing spider would want to be inside your house, either. I have golden orb spiders in the breezeway between my house back door and my garage. I leave the light on at night for security purposes and the spiders love that since they get plenty to eat. They also give extra security. They won't attack human robbers, but some of them don't know that. And they keep Papal Cross spiders away, who are very undesirable spiders..

Nice, I really think most of us (including myself) should learn more about the ''good'' and ''bad'' spiders . I'm personally very afraid of the ''violinist spiders'' those things are nasty! I'll surely get more info on this topic :) It's quite interesting :)!

Ask a Question