Garden progression all messed up

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Each season I know approximately when I'll have certain vegetables. First, lettuces and sugar peas, then cucumbers and squash, then tomatoes, with garlic and onions and potatoes at their appropriate times.
This year, nothing is following my calendar! I had tomatoes before cucumbers, the garlic was about two weeks early, we are just now digging potatoes which usually is at the end of May.
What happened? Is it climate change, or perhaps our unusually wet spring? Do I need to rearrange my planting schedule so I won't have a plethora of vegetables and then a dearth?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Its just been an unusual year with the vagaries of the climate this year...nothing permanent here, IMO, just the swings in the climate. We had the coldest temps ever recorded here this winter and then two weeks of rain (measured over 30 inches) in the spring. Had to get my potatoes out of the ground in mid-May after those rains or they would have rotted.

The rains played havoc on my tomatoes but the grasses in the pastures are the thickest I have ever seen them. More fresh corn than we can use or give away. Seems like one thing may suffer but others may benefit. Just now have turned on the automatic sprinkler system, lol.

I have the garden about 75% in cover crops (alfalfa and soybeans} right now and looking forward to a more "normal" fall garden.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just checked on last years picture dates, we're 10 days behind here after freezing cold north winds all spring, then a drought and then torrential rain :eek:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I reckon the man upstairs has a good sense of humour, and wants to keep us all on our toes, and not get too complacent about the order of things. Our weather pattern has also been erratic and a bit extreme. The hard prolonged frosts early on killed stuff that would normally survive, and the torrential rain followed by a mini heatwave, has made the grass shoot up to silly high.
We shall all just have to be ready for those pletheras and dearths @marlingardener
1624568340267.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Yeah, weird around here too.

Late frost killed most of the fruit blossoms. Then we got hot and dry. Now, in the last week of June, we're only getting highs of 70 F and lows around 45 F and a LOT of rain.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Same here, late frost and hard ground for a week nearly killed my wallflowers and as you say my fruit blossom didn't do very well.

Ask a Question