Garden Preparation

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Twins, there are alternatives to tilling. You can look into "lasagna gardening" or using raised beds, or heavy mulch with planting holes in it.
Knowing where you are in the USA would really help.
As a general rule, to get ready for the spring garden, you need to plan it out so you will have enough seed to plant the vegetables you want without overcrowding; mix your compost in or start a compost pile; and have your tools clean and sharp, ready to use.
Let us know where you are, and if possible what kind of soil you have, and we'll be more helpful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I usually start planting my seeds in April as this is when I know there is no chance for early spring snowfalls, but this all depends on where you live.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you going to seed or are your going to start your plants and then put them in the ground. Both are good ways to start your garden, with the seed you will have to make sure the birds and bugs do not eat your seeds. Seedlings the pest could be birds, mice, cats, deer and people walking on your baby plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We started 2015 last fall, by removing all the fall weeds from the beds and turned the soil several times. I start by a good weeding, digging them out, rather than pulling and leaving a root to reappear. We are in Middle TN and although frost day is not til May 3rd or so, I always get a couple of sacrifice plants to push the season. We will patch the raised beds (just scrap 2x6 and 2x8 lumber staked to the ground)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What are you planting and what is the ground like where you are? If you're planting in an area that has grass and weeds, you'll need to get rid of them - tilling actually isn't great because it doesn't get rid of the grass/weeds, it just breaks them up and leaves them in the ground. You'll be pulling weeds for years. I've found the best way is to strip the sod off first. If the soil underneath is soft enough to dig holes in with a trowel or shovel, that's probably fine for most plants. While nice soft, fluffy soil is easier to work in, I've found that most plants don't need it - they're pretty strong when it comes to putting down roots.

You might want to get your soil tested to see if it needs any amendments. You can get a soil test kit at your local nursery, or if you have a county agricultural extension office, they'll usually test if for you for free - plus they're usually pretty good about coming out to your place, and giving you lots of great advice as to what to plant, where, when, etc. The country extension officer can be a very valuable asset for home gardeners.

Ask a Question