Garden Next to My Catalpa Trees

M

maddog

My husband and I have been considering best places for our vegetable garden. We would like to put it in this certain area around three catalpa trees. My husband heard that catalpas can be poisonous to eat. Will this somehow poison our vegetable garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The only thing you have to worry about concerning this tree is the shade it provides. Vegetables need all day sun to be most productive. It will not affect your vegetables. Just be sure that you or your pets don't eat the leaves, twigs or roots of this tree.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
It seems to be a mixed bag..."The poisonous parts of the tree are the roots and the leaves as well. Both of these are poisonous to humans and animals alike. The flowers and beans are said to not be poisonous, though."

The leaves are said to make a good organic insecticide.

I have a couple of the trees for the caterpillars which are outstanding fish bait. The trees are messy and not what I would want in/near my garden.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Catalpa, will provide a good shade for the vegetables below on hot summer days I would of thought. The poison is within the wood so I wouldnt of thought it would be a problem? This article does suggest using gloves while handling the Indian Bean tree though.

Just as a side note, the Catalpas I work with all the surrounding plants and shrubs seem to be healthy enough

Ask a Question