Garden Landscaping with Tubs (what plants are happy in the same tub)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA zone 8b
Country
United Kingdom
1.png 2.png
Front Back

Hi All
My partner and I are first time gardeners (in spite of our age), no experience at all and we have just moved from a flat to a terraced house, we have a fair sized back yard but concrete, front garden smaller. Our main interest is planting in pots and tubs. We want to make an area for relaxing in the summer, want lots of fragrance, love jasmine, honeysuckle and lavender types, lots of vibrant colours. What we would like is various fragrant plants/flowers/shrubs which would be happy growing together in large/medium/small tubs, as having the concrete removed due to financial restraints is not an option. We get full sun in the afternoon in our back garden. The weeds have already been pulled just waiting for a bit of warmth to continue.

Hoping you can help us.
Very Kind Regards
Alan and Terry

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, Alan and Terry!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Trachelospermum jasminoides | Confederate jasmine will definitely be a good choice.

upload_2018-3-4_12-21-5.jpeg

Sarcococca is another good choice although it is not a climber. They do well in pots. You can grow some draping rosemary to hide the edges of your pots. Of course, good idea to get a prolific climbing rose.

Hope some other forumers will give you more interesting ideas.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Another thing you can do is to key in AGM climbing roses and google to your hearts' content.

AGM fragrant jasmines

AGM fragrant honeysuckle

AGM fragrant climbers

When a plant is granted AGM status, it means it will do well in various aspects in most garden. It's like buying an appliance after consulting Which?.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You can get a very big tub and plant a clematis montana reuben. It's apple blossom fragrance often knocks me out for six.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA zone 8b
Country
United Kingdom
Trachelospermum jasminoides | Confederate jasmine will definitely be a good choice.

View attachment 33106

Sarcococca is another good choice although it is not a climber. They do well in pots. You can grow some draping rosemary to hide the edges of your pots. Of course, good idea to get a prolific climbing rose.

Hope some other forumers will give you more interesting ideas.

Thank you very much for the advice.

My partner and I have in the past few weeks gone on a seed and plant buying frenzy, we are fast running out of windows sills and shelves to place them for germination.

Here are but a few:-

Climbing rose, Chinese jasmine, lavender, dahlia, Indian strawberries, Tagetes, Aubrietia, Aster, a butterfly and bee selection which is Scented stocks, foxgloves, lavender, Agastache, Echinops, Forget me not, Lobelia, Hanging basket starter kit, Parsley moss curled, Aster, Plum tomato, Basil, Peppers, Coriander, Chilli peppers, onions, chives, rocket, thyme, Italian leaf, Strawberries.

Now I see this list in black and white I wonder if we will have room in the garden to move lol. The bottom of the back yard will be used for the edibles, outside the back door (kitchen) for herbs. The top half of the back garden will be the sitting area where the fragrant plant tubs will be sited. We were hoping to plant the jasmine and lavender together in a large tub.

Sorry to waffle

Very Kind Regards
Alan and Terry

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think I have much advice to give. I am still learning myself.

It might be a good idea to put the herbs which require leaner soil than dahlia together. They like it hot, free drainage and leaner soil.

What you can do is draw up your back and front gardens and work out the aspects. How many hours of sun and if it is south or east or west facing. Study the exciting plants you have bought to find out soil type, aspect, sunshine. It might be a good idea to buy big pots with drainage aid so that there would be a reservoir of some sort at the bottom for the plants. Or add plenty of perlite or sharp sand so that the plants enjoy good drainage. Big pots also look better than having tons of smaller pots everywhere. Group your hungry plants together. Dahlias do well in sunny position. Also, might be a good idea to place them according to their heights. If you key in plant names and RHS, you can find out their final height and spread.

Can't wait to see photos of the development of your back and front gardens! Have fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA zone 8b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you very much for your advice. Our Clematis Montana are on their way, also Honeysuckle.
Kind Regards
Alan and Terry

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hello and Welcome!
I could imagine with a lot of concrete one might want to remove it. But what if the unexpected happened and you made Hypertufa pots, or even some of the organic shapes found when they are made with cloth draped over a form shape like a stool?

Ask a Question