Garden Gloves

Reaction score
I was curious how many people out there used gardening gloves? To be honest, I never use them. I prefer to have direct contact with soil and plants. I have a pair of gloves, but I just use them when I need to get into the compost pile. I do admire all the pretty gloves I see for sale, though. There are some really cute designs!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I use garden gloves every time when I work in my garden. Unlike you, I really don't like having direct contact with soil. It seems too dirty to me, I suffer from OCD and I'm scared of germs:eek:
My gloves are black and very simple. In my opinion they're quite pretty.

Reaction score
With all the nasty creatures that live in my garden like scorpions and giant centipedes, it would not be wise to garden without gloves, so I always do and preferably good fitting leather ones.
Although they are much more expensive I choose leather ones, because they are more protective should I accidentally encounter a scorpion or centipede, but also, as the leather is soft it molds to the shape of my hand and feels more like a second skin rather than a pair of gloves - so it makes it easier to most handle plants.
The only time I don't wear gloves is when handling delicate plants or doing something really fiddly like dead heading.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Generally I don't use gloves although I have them. I try to remind myself to wear them when working on the rose bush but I forget until I get a thorn scratch and I remember the gloves. The dirt on my hands feels good to me for some reason. We don't have any mean critters in our soil, we do have centipedes but they are small.

My biggest reason to wear gloves would be having animals in the yard leaving their waste behind, which we don't have that in our neighborhood.

Reaction score
I have not seen any scorpions here, but if I did I might not even go outside! Those things creep me out! I think we have centipedes, but mainly I just see worms and little bugs. I keep a nail brush near my sink for when I am done. Dirt under my nails drives me crazy.

Reaction score
I never used them to be honest, I might start using them in the future. Specially if I get to garden a bit while pregnant (you never know!). I really don't like the way it feels to wear gloves for gardening, but if you have long nails and like to protect them, then wearing gardening gloves is a must.

I prefer no to tho :p I know it can be a bit risky, but I really like how the soil feels! Excepting when I find big earth worms, lol.

Reaction score
When I am planting I refuse to wear any gloves, I want to feel the plants and the soil. For certain other tasks such as pruning roses, clearing brush, etc. I will wear them to protect my hands from wear and tear. I finally found a pair of gloves that I like in the hardware store, very light weight and well fitting.

Reaction score
I never use gardening gloves either, although I have heard that you should always wear them. I just feel like it is too much of a hassle. I garden because its fun and gives me time to spend with nature and I don't want that moment to be ruined with gardening gloves on. I know I sound weird, but I prefer gardening naturally.

Reaction score
I never use gardening gloves either, although I have heard that you should always wear them. I just feel like it is too much of a hassle. I garden because its fun and gives me time to spend with nature and I don't want that moment to be ruined with gardening gloves on. I know I sound weird, but I prefer gardening naturally.

Yes, that is my exact thought. I just want to feel the dirt and be at peace. I also feel like gloves give me fumbling hands. Even if they fit well, they are still bulky.

Reaction score
Sometimes, I use gardening gloves, and sometimes I don't. It is nice to feel the dirt under your hands. You feel like you are connected to nature. But it's not always practical. So sometimes I just put on a pair of gloves and go out and putter in my garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I found a few pictures of really lovely gardening gloves. Who wants to be fashionable while working in a garden? I do, haha!:p:LOL:
I think that these would make a really nice gift for every person who is interested in gardening:
2206_1.jpg

starting-to-garden-gloves.jpg

Garden-Party-Gloves3.jpg-1024x686.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I started wearing gloves after Costco started selling 6 packs for $7.99. I had always been a bare fisted gardener and my dirt stained, cracked fingers were a testament to my regular weeding habits.
image.jpg
These are the best gloves I have ever had. They don't get muddy like others I have tried and the price is great. The colors aren't bad either. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
6 packs for $7.99 really is a great price! Also, they all look quite pretty, I especially like the pink ones:D
Unfortunately, we don't have Costco in Poland. It's the first time when I hear of this store.

Ask a Question