Garden Foxes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
No idea,depends on the weather
Country
United Kingdom
HI,just sat here reading away and i thought i had a duck in the garden by the noise...realised it was one of my foxes but never heard them sound like that before,any ideas on fox calls and what they mean? ..I left out a lamb bone and a rump steak that was just past its best for them tonight,i know i have 2 that visit as ive got trail camera footage ..and i know i should'nt but i do and always will feed them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
foxes make a sound like ducks often when they are playing or fighting The sound your talking of is known as Gekkering. I've Seen young Cubs making that sound but also last year I watched a couple of adult males Making the same sound while fighting over territory, about this time last year it was, Which kind of makes sense as mating is in winter To so I guess there must of been a vixen near by they where interested in;). Foxs make many different Calls............ Barks,Screams & Howls. The Screams are Mating calls They are load...... o_O

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have foxes, red foxes, but they are quiet. I think they don't want to catch the coyotes' attention. Our coyotes "yodel". They hunt in packs and the yodeling may be a form of communication between pack members, or just done to annoy humans!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
No idea,depends on the weather
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @Daren,Ive heard the screaming in the distance and once in the early hrs last summer when there were 4 trotting down the street,i'l presume they were mum and cubs as i dont think foxes pack like coyotes do,i'd be scared! @marlingardener
Thats a good video @Becky :) i will be replaying it a few times,wish my cam had caught the sound of this fox(i call it sox as it has 1 black front leg)the othe other fox i named Alsa as she is similar to an alsation,maybe she is its mum but they both come to feed at seperate times or so i thought until i got 2 cameras :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An old friend of mine used to feed his fox family, and use a camera to record them in his back yard. He would beg leftover scraps from local cafes and pubs, and ask in local shops for anything the foxes could use - which he would collect daily. He had a large second hand freezer in which to keep all his ''goodies'' and he continued this work for many years before he died.

On one occasion his house was burgled, and among other things the thieves decided to take all of the contents of his freezer. I can imagine the disappointment when they discovered just what they had managed to get in their swag..... :joyful:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Did anyone see the documentary about urban foxes in London?

A lady leaned out of her first floor window with a sausage in her hand and told the fox to sit...

He did :giggle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.

You won't have seen this.

I built this Japanese tea-house at the bottom of our garden thirty years ago.
This is a contemporary photo.

We've always had foxes visiting our garden as we're on the edge of the Mersey Valley where there's a huge expanse of open land either side of the river for miles.

At the beginning of April in 2017, we looked out of the kitchen window and saw this.

A mother fox had made a den under the building. There's about 9" of clearance under it as it is built on small brick piers with "skirts" on three sides attached to the floor which don't quite reach the path but was open at the back to get some air circulation, to prevent damp.

She had given birth to six cubs. We'd no idea she was there or the cubs and I'm in and out of the building frequently as I keep and play my two vinyl jukeboxes I keep in there when I'm gardening, sometimes for a couple of hours at a time.
She successfully reared all of them and they made their way out of our enclosed garden via a big Japanese lantern I built situated near a panel of the surrounding 6ft high fence. She took them out in pairs over three days.

All the time they were there we never heard a peep out of any of them,. The cubs used to tear around the garden playing during the day when they got older, they flattened a few bluebells but otherwise caused no damage. Just a lot of muddy footprints on the floor of the veranda above them. I did put a net over our five foot deep koi pool as if they fell in it would have been hard for them to get out.
We never went in the garden when they were out. But I did leave some cat food out for them each night to suppliment their diet. There mother used to pinch kid's toys from other gardens and bring them back to give them something to play "chase" with.
We once saw them chasing around with what we thought was a blackbird in one of their mouths. This distressed my wife.

"Well it's nature" I said.

It wasn't a blackbird, I found this on the lawn with teeth marks in it the following morning. No idea where that came from.

I also gave them a sturdy box for them to practice their "pouncing."

All our photos I took on zoom either the kitchen window or the French windows in the lounge.

This was mum drinking from our little frog pond. We called her Fiona.

The cubs used to come up to the window to pinch the mealworms we left out for the birds. They knew we were no threat.

They always looked immaculate, as you'd see her occasionally cleaning them.

Here's the cubs playing at night, the security light on the back of the shed never bothered them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
How cute is this little one?

Late in the evening so the quality isn't so good.

You wouldn't think something that size could make such a mess, but they were running up the steps and jumping off the side of the veranda

Dinner time!

We worked out that there were four males and two smaller females. The males competed with each other, but the females "shared."

Ask a Question