Garden Disease or Malnutrition?

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have been having this problem for a few years now, and we want it to end already!
It happens to our lilac bushes, tomatoes, mint, and cucumber as well as some other flowers.
The leaves either curl up and turn yellow and bumby or get splotchy yellow dots. I have some pictures of our lilac bush (in which it has already started) and on one of the flowers (not sure what flower it is, it blooms in the fall).

The mint leaves are the ones that get yellow splotches, but it doesn't start until mid summer. Also one of our lilac bushes NEVER flowers (the first picture) and the other one does flower however this year they started to flower and then dried up instantly. We have been having heavy rain so water is most likely not the issue

Please help me find the issue! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7569.JPG
    IMG_7569.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_7570.JPG
    IMG_7570.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_7571.JPG
    IMG_7571.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
From the pics the main thing I see is a lack of sunlight and watering a little too often. There is a slight fungal problem but really not enough to worry about. Just snip off the affected leaves. And possibly over fertilizing too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Where do you live? This is an international forum with almost countless climate conditions and none of us are mindreaders. ;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
From the pics the main thing I see is a lack of sunlight and watering a little too often. There is a slight fungal problem but really not enough to worry about. Just snip off the affected leaves. And possibly over fertilizing too.
Not sure about the watering as my mom handles that, and I'm pretty sure we never fertilize it, in fact our soil is pretty horrible in terms of nutrients. At least I think. But I'll look into that! Also the one with the yellow leaves is in full sun, the one with the dried flowers is not. I wonder if it's the fungus. Any tips on getting rid of it before it becomes an issue?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Then I'm going to go with over- watering. I'm in a similar area to you and the last couple of years have been really rainy - too much, really. That's really bad. Don't water until your plants get really crunchy...seriously it's OK to let plants wilt. In fact it's often good for them.

Most garden centers do free or cheap soil testing. Adding nutrients to poor soil is usually super-affordable.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Then I'm going to go with over- watering. I'm in a similar area to you and the last couple of years have been really rainy - too much, really. That's really bad. Don't water until your plants get really crunchy...seriously it's OK to let plants wilt. In fact it's often good for them.

Most garden centers do free or cheap soil testing. Adding nutrients to poor soil is usually super-affordable.
Awesome! Thank you, I'll let my mom know and go to my local garden center to ask about soil testing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You say full sun. How many hours per day is there no shade? Flowering depends upon sunshine along with foliage growth

Reaction score
Country
United States
You say full sun. How many hours per day is there no shade? Flowering depends upon sunshine along with foliage growth
I'd say probably at LEAST 8, if not more. I have not kept track of it before, but it is located in an area that is not blocked by any structure. No trees, fences, bushes, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A basic good anti fungal is simply hydrogen peroxide sprayed about once a week. Another is baking soda

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Chuck Do you use full strength hydrogen peroxide or mix with water? Also, how much baking soda would you use in a quart of water, say?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck Do you use full strength hydrogen peroxide or mix with water? Also, how much baking soda would you use in a quart of water, say?
Hydrogen peroxide full strength. On the baking soda my recipie is 1 teaspoon BS, 1 teaspoon molasses and a small squirt of Ivory per quart of water. If you don't have molasses you can use horticultural oil or orange/citrus oil (dlimonine)

Ask a Question