Garden boxes - loam how deep?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi all,

I WAS going to till up a part of my back yard for a garden but it's all rocks and sand and it'll take forever so instead, I'm building some boxes. They will be eight feet long, four feet wide, and about 12 to 16 inches deep. I'm wondering how deep should I make the loam. I have dirt to put in the boxes and will put loam over the top of that and just need to know how deep I should make the good soil.

Thanks!

Mike

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
What are you planning on growing in them? If it were me I'd put a bit of hardcore in the bottom for drainage, and make sure that the topsoil is at least 6-8 inches deep. However I've not made my own raised beds so I'm just talking hypothetically - hopefully someone with experience will be able to help you :)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't grow in raised beds either... I assume you are growing vegetables? :confused: Tomatoes can be grown in a 5 gallon bucket, (actually, I believe most vegetables require a minimum of 5 gallons,) maybe you could use that as a guide? (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi MaryMary. Yes, I'll be growing veggies. I think I'll just do what Becky said. I'll definitely put some rocks at the bottom for drainage and then some regular soil and probably make the lion's share of it good fertile loam.

Ask a Question