Garden Blasphemy or Sensible Solution

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have about 250 sqft that I want to keep as lawn. However, for years I have tried and have been unable to keep grass growing. I'm considering artificial turf. Am I a bad person?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It`s plastic - not a lawn .....yuk! You already know what gardeners think, but it`s your decision, and that`s all that matters :cool:
I think I would rather consider a carpet of herbs or sedums or even ''mind your own business'' Helxine soleirolii

1623766095065.png
1623766160959.png
1623766190492.png

1623766524441.png
Helxine!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
And that's the dilemma. The beautiful green surrounded by all my plantings and used brick paths or not having a lawn. Decisions. Decisions. lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I suppose, since I have to prepare the area anyway, is to try sod once again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Helxine (mind your/my own business) is green and growing. Plastic is not gardening, and alternative planting wouldn`t need a lawn mower either. Just think, you could end up with plastic trees and flowers too :nailbiting:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have about 250 sqft that I want to keep as lawn. However, for years I have tried and have been unable to keep grass growing. I'm considering artificial turf. Am I a bad person?
A few people in San Antonio tried plastic grass. They thought (This Is Great). For a short time. No mowing, no fertilizing, no weeding, no watering. Well guess what happened. Seeds blew in and sprouted. Their lovely plastic astro turf changed into a weed patch. It was more work vacuuming than it was mowing.
Millions of people in S. Cal have real grass lawns. Are they all geniuses when it comes to growing grass? Send some pictures of your bare spot and someone on this forum will give you step by step instructions on how to grow and maintain a real grass lawn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thank you for all the feedback. After some reflection and soul searching I have decided to do mostly the same work I would have to do, but instead of turf I am going with sod. I will replace all the sprinkler heads and probably add a couple to make sure the lawn gets maximum coverage. Since the temps are running in the 90s the project will either be tackled slowly or held off until October.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you buy seed when the time comes, make sure it`s the right mix for your conditions ( an american member would make the right suggestions I would think) Raise the blades on the mower - never cut too short. Use a mulching deck to feed the fine clippings back and feed your lawn. Use a feed, never too strong, only the amount stipulated on the instructions.
Hat off to you for making the ''gardeners decision'' and I hope yours is the best lawn in the neighbourhood.
Don`t forget to show us a picture :happy:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thank you "T"! I'm going to lay sod so no seed. Probably a tall fescue. This is a small area in the back, but I do keep both lawns around 3 inches and I do have the mower setup for mulching. I always use a "natural" slow release fertilizer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Rick. I think us gardeners here in the UK need to get to know more about, American gardening. Fair do's we answer and comment mainly on the basis of our experience here in the UK. Perhaps an invite to all our friends, around the world. Could we perhaps share more detail in a way that we, can get an overall picture of the situation. Perhaps grass seed mixtures used here, might be a complete waste of time and effort in the US. No offence.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Rick. I think us gardeners here in the UK need to get to know more about, American gardening. Fair do's we answer and comment mainly on the basis of our experience here in the UK. Perhaps an invite to all our friends, around the world. Could we perhaps share more detail in a way that we, can get an overall picture of the situation. Perhaps grass seed mixtures used here, might be a complete waste of time and effort in the US. No offence.
Yeah Mike, those folk in the US of A can be a bit difficult for the likes of me to understand. They have a different language for starters :rolleyes:
Look at Ricky`s posts for example. Ricky calls turf ''sod'' - when I say sod, it means ''oh dear I just stubbed my toe'' - or words to that effect :devil: The turf that Ricky speaks of is plastic rubbish, not proper grassy turf as we know it... and it just doesn`t stop there - my garden at the moment has b****y partridges and rabbits chewing everything up. In America they have things called "critters and varmits"
SO there is a lot to understand, and allowances to be made. We don`t always have the same plants either, and that is a good reason to use Latin names as much as possible, so we can all have some clue as to what we`re talking about :geek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Turf = Artificial grass
Sod = Grass that has been grown on a sod farm and then cut and rolled for sale

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. UNCOUNTABLE NOUN [also the N]
Turf is short, thick, even grass.
They shuffled slowly down the turf toward the cliff's edge.
Synonyms: grass, green, sward

sod it/that spoken not polite used to rudely express anger or annoyance at something or someone. Sod it, I’ve missed the train.

See :rolleyes: ...if you come to dear ol` blighty for a holiday (not vacation) you might need a dictionary :smuggrin:

Seriously, have you considered using seed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have reseeded and I have stripped it down to the dirt and spread top soil & seed over many years. I just have had no luck with this area. We kept this section as lawn because of the dogs. Our dogs are no longer with us, but I still like the look.

Ask a Question