Garden Berries

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Last year we tried Aunt Molly's Ground Cherries from Baker Creek and were delighted with the results. This year I would like to try Huckleberries from them, but can't find much information on them. Has anyone grown them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Last year we tried Aunt Molly's Ground Cherries from Baker Creek and were delighted with the results. This year I would like to try Huckleberries from them, but can't find much information on them. Has anyone grown them?
If you were successful in growing Ground Cherries then you cannot grow Huckleberries. The reason is that Huckleberries must have very acidic soils, like blue berries, and ground cherries and tomatillas need very slight acidic to moderate alkaline soils. I have grown tomatillas and ground cherries many times over the years and have tried to grow blueberries but my soil is way to alkaline. I even dug a 2 foot deep, 2 foot square hole once and filled it with peat moss but within 2 seasons it was dead. Never got the first blue berry. I even tried to grow them in large containers filled with peat with only less than moderate success. They just do not grow where the soil is even slightly alkaline and this applies to both huckleberries and blue berries.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

Just checked them out on Baker Creek. I might order some.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank-you, Chuck. I grew the ground cherries in bags on tables last year. We already grow blueberries with no problem, so I can probably grow Huckleberies, too. I'm hoping they taste good ! So many of those "rare" seeds produce fruit that doesn't have much flavor (which is probably why people don't grow them any more).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank-you, Chuck. I grew the ground cherries in bags on tables last year. We already grow blueberries with no problem, so I can probably grow Huckleberies, too. I'm hoping they taste good ! So many of those "rare" seeds produce fruit that doesn't have much flavor (which is probably why people don't grow them any more).
No problem then. I wished I could grow them. All of the big box stores here sell them to unknowledgable folks and then they call all of the garden shows on the radio asking why their plants died. Maybe some of them who read this thread won't waste their money.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck Would a good mulching of pine needles help or would this be adding too little acid?
If you have pine trees in your area then your soil is already acidic and adding needles wouldn't add enough acid to your soil to even measure. Huckleberries and blueberries need a Ph of about 4-5.

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Huckleberries nad blueberries indeed require acidic soil.

Haskap berry is quite undemanding plant if You have a sunny spot for it, otherwise they can get bitter. Pick modern Canadian or Russian variety. They are much better then couple year ago.

Suskatoon - if You like birds
smile.gif
Very sweet. They require space, and some pruning. Pick grafted variety or atleast one that doesnt produce alot of suckers.

Currants are very easy plants, they give fruits every year with almost no care. Except if You wish kids will like it You might be dissapointed. They healthy but also very sour. But if you mix them up with something sweet thats a nice combination in kitchen.

I live in zone 6b - these 3 work for me + strawberries!

Ask a Question