Garden Bed or Plant Separate?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there, long time listener, first time caller here! I'm trying to grow the following plants:

Pot 1:
1. Basil
2. Garlic Chives
3. Cilantro (two bushels)

Pot 2:
1. (Green) Bell Peppers

Pot 3
1. Mint

Right now I have most of these growing on the side of my house (Northern California) which gets good sun in the morning and then shade in the afternoon and evening, with sundown around 8:30 PM. I moved the bell pepper into full sun and it seems to love that. The basil, chives and cilantro seem to be growing pretty well as is, but I'm wondering if they'd benefit from full sun. I also have a flower bed (roughly 2.5' x 2.5x), I could move them all to that gets mostly full sun throughout the day.

Any advice if they should be moved, separated, and which ones do best in full sun? Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The herbs may find it too hot (+80f-85f) so a part shade or cool morning sun area may be the best for summers. The chives are a cool weather crop much like lawn onions really but do ok up to 80 or so. The peppers and mint grow ok in my Alabama heat and you are a midge cooler there so full sun on them should not be a problem. Not sure about your climate in N Cali at all though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
My initial thought is keep that mint contained or it will take over everything.

I have intermixed my basil and peppers before with good success. Careful not to pull pepper leafs when getting basil. I don't think pepper leafs considered edible.

Chives here are perennial so I don't have them in my veg boxes.

I can't get cilantro to go worth anything. As soon as I get a second leaf it sends out flowers.

Ask a Question