Garden bed and greenhouse questions

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Hello everyone.
Regarding garden bed - Im planning on building wood squares right on my soil, do i need to make tgese out of waterproof wood planks? (Or buy waterproof color for the planks?).

Regarding greenhouse. Ive seen many types and styles, big and small ones, ive noticed only some of the people mention ventilation (simply some holes on each side). What is the importance of the ventilation? And does the greenhouse size matter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
You need to let the water go where it wants to go, in the ground, You can use waterproof wood if you like. A good greenhouse should be bug proof and be able to control the environment. I think you need a little more than some holes in the walls. Most greenhouses here are water cooled on the south side of the greenhouse. On the north side we have big fans that pull the air across the greenhouse. It gets hot here and so a shade cloth is needed during june, july and aug. Heres the only shade cloth i use now to protect my tomatoes. I love greenhouse growing its a blast. Good luck and happy gardening.

Attachments

• IMG_1960.JPG
    IMG_1960.JPG
    338.6 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1962.JPG
    IMG_1962.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 102
Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
You need to let the water go where it wants to go, in the ground, You can use waterproof wood if you like. A good greenhouse should be bug proof and be able to control the environment. I think you need a little more than some holes in the walls. Most greenhouses here are water cooled on the south side of the greenhouse. On the north side we have big fans that pull the air across the greenhouse. It gets hot here and so a shade cloth is needed during june, july and aug. Heres the only shade cloth i use now to protect my tomatoes. I love greenhouse growing its a blast. Good luck and happy gardening.
Thank you for the reply! I can see that your plants are covered with some cloth, which brings me back to ventilation, u have plenty of it. You suggest that if i do go for a good plastic greenhouse i should have some fan ventilation? Also, isnt direct sunlight essential for the tomatoes?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, you will need ventilation with any greenhouse and so plan on getting the very best you can find. The screen is only 25% shade cloth and will keep my pots from drying out too fast. If they were in direct sun the soil would dry the soil before the next watering. As it stands now, I have to water every 3 days now, and without the shade cloth it would be everyday. Everyday watering is not good for any plants in soil because of the oxygen being cut off in the root zone. My day time temps are already in the upper 90s and will cook anything in a pot. There are many different shade cloth % you can chouse from. You can get a cloth with 75 % shade or less whatever suits your needs.

P

Peace perfect peace

Thinking of getting a green house is one that really needs a good think not just a passing thought,
The first thing is site, have you an open space to put the house on ?
Is the site shaded on any sides ? This can affect growing of some plants/seeds if to shaded all the time,
Are you having a base? concrete? solid base helps keep heat in during winter etc,
The vents are of upmost importance, ie bad ventilation will cause mold on a lot of plants and a free hotel for all kind of bugs
Auto mattic opening devices should be a must plus side hand opening devices,
Auto unless your going to be in the area 24 hours a day you'll be glad you had a device that opens when your not around it can save a lot of fried plants,

The door opening, slide door or opening doors?
How wide, ie do you have a need to get a wheelbarrow through the opening space? what is your size, large people can have trouble getting through slim spaces and if your carrying bags of compost you've only to knock the door frame a few times and you'll hear smashing glass etc "get a door size to fit you and your needs,

How fit are you ie can you manage large pots, heavy weights? All these things ref openings are important to think about now,
Size?
Again size is important ie do you intend winter growing and if so you'll need to think about heating the greenhouse,
Plants are not cheap and if you intend to over winter you'll find heat is also not cheap, the bigger the greenhouse the more heat cost,

If your a keen gardener and "like myself" live for gardening then ref space!!!! ? allow to buy a twice the size greenhouse your thinking of now, nothing worse than making the mistake of a to small greenhouse,
You can get all ,kinds of glass "some is made to retain heat better than others, take your time and study whats on offer and cost,
Some are self shading again to much bright sun can cause damage, self shading will sort the problem out when your away,

Electric "Are you able to have electric plumbed in ie are you near an outlet so your house can receive a power line, this again is a very good thing to have both sockets and lighting supply on tap,

Do you want the likes of grape vine in your greenhouse " the roots of a lot of vines are planted outside the greenhouse and so when building the foundation ensure you leave an entrance for the vine to be planted outside and led into greenhouse (plastic drainpipe placed in the foundation will sort this problem out,
And last but not least, is the site out of a wind tunnel, greenhouse can be damaged via strong winds? can you plant a windbreak near?

Ask a Question