Gambling on the weather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am betting that the freezing weather is over here in South Central Texas so I am going to start planting my tomatoes today. So now I will be doing an anti-hail dance every day. Down here its a gamble on whether it is frost, hail or gale force winds for about 45 more days. After that it will be if the grasshoppers invade by the millions, the deer, drought, extreme heat or some other unforseen castrophe. For everything to work perfectly is about as likely as winning the lottery. Ain't gardening fun?

Reaction score
Best of luck, Chuck! I was born in Texas, so I'm kinda familiar with the weather over there. I still live nearby, and it also seems the cold ain't coming back, so let's hope that's the case and your tomatoes will do well :) Please keep us posted and let us how it goes for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I should be doing an anti-hail dance too. A few days ago, it was 22c. Today, it's 6c and it's raining. I heard that it will be even colder in the night. It worries me, because my miniature roses already are in my room. I should have left them in the attic:(

Reaction score
Good luck with those tomatoes, I'm sure living there has taught you many tricks for protecting your plants. We have been cold, cold, cold in Connecticut but hopefully the big freeze is over. It will be a bit before we can plant but it will be soon.

Ask a Question