Future site of indoor greenhouse.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Been working hard today but with winter fast approaching I don't want to lose the comfort of my leafy green "friends". I've had those small built it greenhouses on wheels but the vinyl cover disintegrated. I came up with a creative solution to turn half my bedroom into a greenhouse or grow room. Right now it's still being worked on but I've already got a start with a container pond.

20141102_201042.jpg

The shelves on the side will support plants. In the center which right now is empty I'll have a rack. The table in the back will support a plant. I'm going to run piping along the top for hanging plants. The top or ceiling will mount about 8-10 18" fluorescent grow lamps. I'm also thinking about putting some small rubber mats on the floor.

I'll post more pictures as the project progresses.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Worked hard today working on the greenhouse but it's coming along.

IMG_20141103_211322.jpg

Bought a closet organizer rack at Wal-Mart which I use for pots and planters.

The hanger bars will hold hanging plants.

IMG_20141103_211402.jpg

The shelves also hold pots and planters. Thinking about also growing herbs in here. The black and orange item is the console to a Vantage Pro2 weather station. This monitors and records temperature and humidity inside the greenhouse and helps me monitor the greenhouse climate. It primarily monitors weather outside because I'm a weather nut.

IMG_20141103_211439.jpg

Added more grow lights. Plastic sheeting over the greenhouse allows me to control the internal climate without making the rest of the bedroom uncomfortable.

IMG_20141103_211522.jpg

First inhabitants of the greenhouse. Aquatic plants. I set up a indoor container pond. Inside the pond is a decorative fog maker which doubles as a humidifier controlling the humidity.

IMG_20141103_211545.jpg

Looks like a bunch of junk but eventually this will be a 2nd container pond for tropical fish. Water will recirculate between the two ponds through a Eheim 2211 fish tank filter. When the filter needs cleaning I can wash it out in the irrigation water which helps provide additional nutrients for other plants.

My dad is letting me take care of your big pitcher plant. Everything is working out perfectly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
About 70. Since I first built the grow room I downsized it due to space demands. I didn't need the full size grow room. I'm going to put plastic against the walls this fall. Last winter I had a hard time maintaining the humidity. Even going through a full reservoir in 4 hours.

Last year I lost a few plants due to dryness. I bought a Parrot Flower Power that I'm going to use to monitor the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I envy the photos you posted here. I cannot afford a green house because we have no more space in our property. But if I can, probably a lanai would be my choice. A lanai is a terrace with a sun roof that can included a fountain and some plants inside. I have seen the house of some rich people with a lanai like that. And one even has lots of bonsai inside.

Ask a Question