Fungus on fruit trees?

Reaction score
Country
United States
A question for the fruit tree experts, I have a fig tree and a grape tree. The fig tree has been doing great but lately the leaf edges have been turning brown, as you can see in the first row of pictures. These are the older, larger leaves. Is this because they are the older leaves or is this a fungus?

For the grapes, the leaves have had rust spots for a while. I sprayed neem oil and now the entire leaves are getting covered in rust, as you can see in the second row of pictures. Is this rust fungus? Should I get a copper fungicide? I just want to make sure before I buy another product.

Thanks in advance.

DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
From what I can, see the leaves of both your Fig (Ficus carica cv.) and Grape (Vitis vinifera cv.) don't look that bad considering it is Autumn and they will be falling soon anyway. Slight discoloration at the end of the season usually isn't anything of concern.

You do mention Grape Rust (Phakosora euvitis), but the leaves I see don't really have clear signs of such rust. Do you have photos of other leaves that are more obviously affected? I'll take your word for it, but it looks like a mild case, if any. All the same, do practice good sanitation. When the leaves fall, rake them up and bury them deep in your compost. Some people insist on sending them away in a bin but I feel that is excessive. At Winter's end, just before bud break, you may also choose to spray with a sulfur compound.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is what I had before. Some still have it but to a much less extent. I sprayed with neem oil because I thought they might be caused by mites.

DSC_0008_1630865202080.jpg
DSC_0010_1630865199589.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree this does look like Grape Rust Mite (Calepitrimerus vitis) damage. The mite is so called because the damage somewhat resembles that of rust fungus. It would be good to see the mites, but this can be difficult,requiring careful searching with a strong hand lens. The mites are more likely to be seen in Spring. The best treatment seems to be sulfur sprays. The first treatment should be done just before bud break and the second, two weeks later. Additional sprayings may offer added benefit.

Ask a Question