Fun guys

Reaction score
Haha, sorry about the title; I was just wondering if anyone had any good tips about indoor mushroom growing? I think I might like to try that out this winter. :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Can be tricky, you need it really warm and about 98% humidity to do well.

Reaction score
Where does one get access to the spores it takes to start the mushrooms though? I like on an island in Michigan, and I'm not sure that there are mushroom farmers around here, even :eek:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You'd need the USA equivalent to this one,

http://mushroombox.co.uk/

I'd love to grow Oysters on logs if I was in one place for long enough.

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, I'll have to do some searching I guess.
I'd want to grow oysters too! Oysters, Shiitake, Lobster mushrooms, and ESPECIALLY Morel mushrooms. I've never tried a fresh one in my life (though I have some dried in my cabinet right now that I don't quite know what to do with), but I think growing them would be fantastic.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I was in the delicatessen with my mate when he noticed a bag of dried Morels priced at £10.

He kicked himself as a load of them had come up from some bark chippings he'd laid in the garden. He didn't know what they were & left them

I used to work on a mushroom farm, one of the neighbouring farms tried growing Oysters in the tunnels, loads of spawn started growing around the extractor fans and everyone was coming down with flu like symptoms. Not one to grow indoors then by the sounds of it :eek:

Reaction score
Are you sure you want to grow mushrooms indoors? The conditions that would make mushrooms thrive indoors are also ideal conditions for mold and other unhealthy things to grow.

Reaction score
I was in the delicatessen with my mate when he noticed a bag of dried Morels priced at £10.

He kicked himself as a load of them had come up from some bark chippings he'd laid in the garden. He didn't know what they were & left them

I used to work on a mushroom farm, one of the neighbouring farms tried growing Oysters in the tunnels, loads of spawn started growing around the extractor fans and everyone was coming down with flu like symptoms. Not one to grow indoors then by the sounds of it :eek:
Oh, well I'll leave the Oysters for professionals then, hahah
I would really be kicking myself too! Oh man.

Have you ever cooked anything with the dried variety of moreles? I can't imagine reconstituting them and making a morel soup..

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not with Morels, but i've used plenty of other dried mushrooms. You can by them in the Chinese supermarkets over here.

Need soaking overnight before cooking usually.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love mushrooms! I ate them for the very first time around two weeks ago and I already love them. But are they really safe to eat? Lately, a few people died in my country because of mushroom poisoning. They picked them by themselves in the woods though, I would buy mine at the store. But I'm still a little scared:( After all, the seller might mistake a poisonous mushroom for a safe one:confused:
I won't try growing them, because it sounds too complicated:p

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I love mushrooms! I ate them for the very first time around two weeks ago and I already love them. But are they really safe to eat? Lately, a few people died in my country because of mushroom poisoning. They picked them by themselves in the woods though, I would buy mine at the store. But I'm still a little scared:( After all, the seller might mistake a poisonous mushroom for a safe one:confused:
I won't try growing them, because it sounds too complicated:p

Not heard of poisonings from store bought ones, most commercial ones come from farms, not from the wild, but as a rule I wouldn't buy any that I couldn't identify myself.

Only needs one mistake and you die horribly with no antidote.

There's a mushroom id group on Facebook (think Chanell signed me up to it) Just the other night someone posted a picture of what he thought were Magic mushrooms, they were poisonous Inocybe toadstools.

Reaction score
Not with Morels, but i've used plenty of other dried mushrooms. You can by them in the Chinese supermarkets over here.

Need soaking overnight before cooking usually.
Neat, but what did you cook them in/make with them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Not heard of poisonings from store bought ones, most commercial ones come from farms, not from the wild, but as a rule I wouldn't buy any that I couldn't identify myself.

Only needs one mistake and you die horribly with no antidote.

There's a mushroom id group on Facebook (think Chanell signed me up to it) Just the other night someone posted a picture of what he thought were Magic mushrooms, they were poisonous Inocybe toadstools.
Then maybe I shouldn't buy them. I'm pretty sure that I couldn't identify any mushrooms, they all look pretty much the same to me. My parents don't like them, so I've never eaten them when I was younger, I don't have any experience. I guess it's better not to take any risk:(

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You'll be fine with the ones from the supermarket Claudine, I was more concerned about the Italian jars of mixed wild fungi that you can get in Delicatessens, too many little brown mushrooms in there for my liking.

Ask a Question