Fuchsias - when to prune?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've been having a debate with my step-dad recently, who at the age of 71 has a great deal more gardening experience than me! He mentioned that he had recently pruned back his fuchsias since they have finished flowering... I was previously under the impression that you should prune them in the spring once frosts are finished but before it sprouts new growth.

I have a couple of fuchsias in my back garden which have barely flowered this year and have become too large and out of shape, so my question is when would it be best to prune them, and would it be a good idea to give them a drastic cut back to encourage better growth?

While we're on the subject of fuchsias, here is a photo of my Mrs Popple which has been doing very well in the front garden:

fuchsia.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Very nice Becky I dont have Mrs Popple ,I would not be pruning it unless you dont want it to grow too high.

I never prune mine untill Oct when they are past flowering as mine are still blooming their socks off .A good prune on Oct and a tidy up prune in spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Very nice Becky I dont have Mrs Popple ,I would not be pruning it unless you dont want it to grow too high.

I never prune mine untill Oct when they are past flowering as mine are still blooming their socks off .A good prune on Oct and a tidy up prune in spring.

Thanks for the feedback scotkat! I'll try that with the fuchsias in the back garden and hopefully they'll do better next year... :)

Ask a Question