Fruits or vegetables?

Reaction score
Pros and Cons of growing fruits versus vegetables? Is it easier, any specific ones, perhaps weather environment?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Vegetables are probably easier (including the ones that are really fruits) as they seem to take a shorter time to harvest. Then again, it depends on the vegetable (asparagus takes years...) Fruit tends to be perennial so you can plant now and enjoy it from season to season.

As far as weather and environment go, that is something that is different for everyone depending on where they live and what kind of soil they have.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Both have problems and rewards, best grow a good mixture and balance of both. Then if one thing fails, you'll have something else that succeeds :)

Reaction score
I would go with vegetables because they mature to harvest sooner. When I think of fruits, I think apples, peaches, oranges, that take a long time to mature. However, you could try strawberries, they will produce a crop in one year.

Reaction score
I wish I had fruit trees, I feel they would be so rewarding. I hate when I see my neighbors allow their fruit to rot on the tree. I guess some fruits are so prolific that they are constant work. Vegetables are always easy if you get them off to a great start.

Reaction score
Weather does play a large part in this.. A lot of fruit plants require a decent climate to produce fruit (oranges, peaches, pineapples), so it would be difficult in the UK (apart from down south perhaps) to grow these, especially as they'd probably grow too large for a greenhouse / polytunnel.

Most vegetables aren't as fussy with climates, and those that are can fit under cloches or in a greenhouse/ polytunnel (Tomatoes, peppers, squash etc). For this reason, I'd go with vegetables over fruit, but I do grow a combination of both, as I do love my fruit. Once you've tasted your own, and you know exactly what you've put into it, and all the effort, nothing from any supermarket will ever compare.

There are other pros and cons to consider, but nobody seems to have approached the weather-aspect of it, yet. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I am in favor of having a mix of fruits and vegetables also. It does take a lot longer for fruit, and even berries ( except for strawberries), but then they are good for many, many years once they do start producing, whereas veggies mature in one season, but usually have to be replanted every year, except for perennials like asparagus.
To me, a of a variety is a good plan, then you will always have something that is going to ripen in a short season, and eventually, will have both the fruits and veggies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have tried to grow a full season of fruit, starting in May/June with strawberries, cherries and blackcurrants in July, plums and raspberries August, and apples and raspberries through to the winter, however, when we have a spring like this past one, it shows the vulnerability of the whole season to a relatively short spell of unseasonal weather.

With vegetables and vegetable fruits, I can usually salvage the greater part of my produce, in a way that's not possible with tree-borne fruit. I look to have lost approx. 2/3 of my fruit this year, but only about 1/4 of my veg, through late harvesting preventing second-cropping, in my short, clay-soiled season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It really depends. But since tomatoes are fruits, I prefer growing fruits:p . I simply can't imagine a garden without them. I also have an apple tree, a small cherry tree and some raspberries.
But of course growing vegetables is very beneficial and pleasant as well.

Reaction score
I would say that they can both be easy, you just may not get fruits right away where many vegetables you will get them that year. Blueberry bushes are easy maintain but they don't produce the year you plant them. Apple trees are also easy as long as you can keep the bugs out, but they take some time to grow and produce.

Cucumbers on the other hand are simple and typically low maintenance and you harvest them the year you plant them. So I would do both if I had a bigger yard, but I don't have room for fruit trees here.

Reaction score
I want to try my hand at both fruits and vegetables although I know fruits are harder to grow in Wyoming than vegetables. We can grow apple trees and cherry trees pretty easily, but as for oranges and peaches, probably not going to happen here. Vegetables grow very well though. I am trying my hand at my first garden this year, so I'll be sure to let everyone that how it turns out. Thanks for the information!

Reaction score
I prefer veggies, they don't attract those disgusting smelly little ants! Plus some of them are so easy to grow, like for example chilies, tomatoes and cucumbers! I'd grow any of those over fruits any time!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I prefer veggies, they don't attract those disgusting smelly little ants! Plus some of them are so easy to grow, like for example chilies, tomatoes and cucumbers! I'd grow any of those over fruits any time!
Actually, I was told that both tomatoes and cucumbers are fruits:p I'm not sure about chilies, but it's very possible that they aren't vegetables either. It's all so tricky! In the past, I used to say that tomatoes are my favorirte vegetables;):LOL:

Reaction score
As I grow both fruit and vegetables - I don't really think that their are any real pros and cons to either - as all are relatively easy so long as you grow what is suited to the climate that you live in.

So to be perfectly honest I think that its really more a matter of not how easy something is to grow - but that of how much time you want to spend looking after them - as some fruits and vegetables are more time consuming to care for than others - simple as that :)

Reaction score
Actually, I was told that both tomatoes and cucumbers are fruits:p I'm not sure about chilies, but it's very possible that they aren't vegetables either. It's all so tricky! In the past, I used to say that tomatoes are my favorirte vegetables;):LOL:

I had heard about the tomatoes, but not about the cucumbers :eek: I guess avocados are also a fruit? I know someone who has made sweet pies with it :LOL: Also smoothies :sick:

Ask a Question