Fruits in northern new england?

Reaction score
I am not familiar with much about gardening but I am interested in learning. Can anyone give me ideas of fruit that will grow easily in Northern Nh? I know apples will grow, but that is a long time away. And I know some people who have grown strawberries and it never really grew up into mature enough plants for fruit.

Does anyone have any ideas of what would be a good starter plant for fruit? Living in a northern New England town with frost early fall and the ground not able to be used until lay May or June.

Like I said, I don't know much about all of this, but I am eager to learn.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
hi from n. maine! yeah its a challenge to grow in n. new england. we are colder than anchorage, alaska! raspberries are easy to grow. i have joan j and polka cultivars. i also grow elderberry aronia currants, blueberries, honey berry and serviceberry. all grow well in your climate. all are considered superfoods. yellow transparent apples are very winter hardy as they're from russia. they make the best apple sauce and pies! all are available online. need anymore info. let me know! good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm south of you and Steve, I grow Golden delicious apples and they do well with the long cold winters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4/5
Country
United States
Hi! You might be surprised at the amount of fruit we can grow up here in the Northeast! Many varieties of fruit trees are created to grow with our short growing season. I used to work for an orchard and they had apples, plum, pear and cherry trees. While you are waiting for your fruit trees to mature, you can always try out the berry family: blackberries, raspberries, blueberries and strawberries all grow great.

Make sure if you do buy the plants, that you go to a nursery that has locally grown plants. If you go to a Home Depot/Walmart the chance that plants have been grown in a warmer climate and shipped up north are very high; often that will be the cause for the plants not thriving.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My apple tree came from Lowe's the tag from the company that grows them are out of CT, the trees are old enough to fruit by the next season. Your right about checking where they were grown.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
hey anne. you must be like millinocket area for the zones you're in . I'm up in the st. john valley. fedco has great plants for our area and is grown in waterville.

Ask a Question