Fruitless olive tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
My newly planted tree on the West side of the house in zone 9b is yellowing and losing it's leaves daily.
Is it in shock or getting too much water? Or does it need nitrogen?
Watering deep root only 15 minutes once daily. Currently 115 degrees daily in June.
Thanks for any insight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My newly planted tree on the West side of the house in zone 9b is yellowing and losing it's leaves daily.
Is it in shock or getting too much water? Or does it need nitrogen?
Watering deep root only 15 minutes once daily. Currently 115 degrees daily in June.
Thanks for any insight.
More than likely in shock plus those temps aren't helping any. You are watering incorrectly. Water very very slowly over an extended period of time and do not water again until the top 2 or 3 inches are dry. Water long enough to wet the trees soil AND the surrounding soil out to about a foot past the trees drip line. At least the leaves are falling off. If they die and don't fall off that is a very bad sign. Do not fertilize while the tree is stressed

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply.
The landscapers put a pipe down into the ground about 3 feet so the water gets to the roots of the tree. I do not use a hose.
The system is set up to water 15 minutes. It is not being watered on the top soil at all. Should I increase the drip?
I thought maybe it was getting too much water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply.
The landscapers put a pipe down into the ground about 3 feet so the water gets to the roots of the tree. I do not use a hose.
The system is set up to water 15 minutes. It is not being watered on the top soil at all. Should I increase the drip?
I thought maybe it was getting too much water.
can you send pics? I am afraid I am not familiar with your setup. How much water actually goes into the pipe? And how far away is the pipe from the root ball? Usually too much water will cause the leaves to wilt and look unhealthy before turning brown

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I'd just like to add that it is important to remember that olives are not like your traditional vegetable/fruit, most leaves of an olive branch leaves only die once every 2-3 years. Moreover, the olive branch vegetation period is in spring. Your plant losing leaves so early is a little bit concerning. I'm sure some pictures will help (as already said).

Ask a Question