Fruit trees

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have all kinds of fruit trees but would love to add to them and looking for a couple real good cherry trees that people have had success with .I want ones that produce a lot of fruit .I wonder if there are any types of fruit trees out there that produce fruit more than once a year .I bought everbearing strawberry plants and they are just popping out of the ground and since they make blueberries and raspberries that have berries for longer why not fruit trees

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
never knew there was a hardy variety of kiwi and will have to check that one out .I have 4 cherry trees and only one is a dwarf .They just seem to grow so slow and have no clue why i have tried fruit tree fertilizer spikes but they just seem like they are not growing

Reaction score
You need a male and female to get fruit. I have three vines but two of them don't do much where the other one has taken off but never has gotten any fruit. If you have the room you should try them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have lots of room and only thing is they will need to stand hot sun most of the day .I have 3 acres but it is all sun and you say vine ,so does it need support to grow

Reaction score
I have several different cherry bushes that do well. Sand cherry is one of my favorites. You can start them from cuttings and start producing pretty fast, they are not like a bing, but they are tasty and make wonderful jam or syrups.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have never heard of sand cherries and you say bush ,you mean like raspberry or blackberry type bush .That would make them easy to pick .You say you have several cherry bushes .I did not know cherries grow like that ,geeze you learn something new every day

Reaction score
They are just a bush, not a cane type bush like the raspberry, just a pretty little very hardy bush that produces cherries. Super easy to grow and pick. Google it, then go find you some, you won't regret it. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I did and trying to now find one or 2 locally .Tried the tree and plant farm here and left message ,I guess they were out selling .Thank you for the info on them

Reaction score
Hi Sissy,

This is my first post here, I'm over at the Garden Pond forum as well and recall you live in Virginia like me.

I am finding that in our state, native trees are best. My fruit trees, pear, peach, plum, are hit and miss. Grapes usually not doing well. Of course I don't spray or maintain them like I should. However, I do notice that trees and fruit more conducive to this area does well. For instance I always get a good crop of muscadine. Nearby, persimmon trees do really well. A friend of mine has a non-native specie that produces tons of fruit. It's a fig tree. I think apples do well but my apple tree produces gnarled fruit. One of my hounds like to munch on the fruit when it falls. LOL

Tmann, I've had Kiwi now for about 10 years and never once saw a kiwi produces. Other than that, it's growing wello_O

Dave in N. Virginia near Manassas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I grow apples ,cherries ,blueberries ,raspberries,pears,blackberries ,plums and now I'm the proud owner of 2 grapevines .Aneighbor gave me some for blueberry shoots .I live in VA on the southside near NC.border .I trim my trees and fertilize them with the fruit tree spikes .I love the spikes as it is easy to do ,just pound them in the ground .I put the spikes in the ground around my berry bushes also and get some great fruit .Being a vegetarian all my life these things are important to me .If you trim back your trees come fall you may get better fruit and even adding those spikes now may help if not this year then next .Fruit trees need lots of fertilizer and the spikes are the easy way to get it to the roots .All fruit trees these days are mostly grown on root stock and not on there own root system .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ok tmann found the kiwi in lowes in NC 2 plants in the package and says one is male and one is female for 19.99 so bought them and says they are cold hardy and just need there roots protected and to protect them farther it says you should use a burlap wrap around them also in the winter at least until the become established .

Ask a Question