Fruit trees — sourcing? And timing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I’m new to the forums, but excited to find these and see so much cool info. on here.

I’m looking into buying fruit trees - 2-3 apple, 2 peach and 2 cherry. I see that Stark brothers has a lot online that range from 23-35 a tree. I did also notice that their plants don’t come hardened. So you’d have to do that process yourself. I don’t know if I’m being lazy but was hoping to find a place that already did that for me. Where do you buy your fruit trees? What was the price?

Also, I’ve read you should plant the trees in spring after chance of frost, but I’ve run into people who buy them in August on deep discount at Lowe’s/Home Depot and plant them before the fall. When do you plant the trees? I’m in Zone 7.

Any tips would be helpful!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Sources:

Stark Bros
Ty Ty
Gurneys
plus most of the box stores.

Stark Bros is the best online source IMO. Price isn't always the only factor and in fact is often not the most important. Quality is very important.

Planting:

Bare root trees need special care and should only be planted during dormancy. Potted trees can be planted anytime but best results are also during dormancy.

Choose a variety selected for your zone or face constant problems and maintenance headaches. Be very careful about having pollinators....self- fruitful isn't always so.

First year for a transplant is the toughest...requires more water and attention. After that many properly chosen varieties require nothing, absolutely nothing. As an example, I offer my 50 plus year old pear trees which produce bountifully every year with ZERO maintenance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
Thanks! That’s what I’ve heard with stark brothers is that you get really high quality. So I’m leaning in that direction.

Ask a Question