Fruit tree rootstocks

Steve Randles

Chief Beverage Officer
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've ordered some apple and Plum tree rootstocks (3 of each).

I know to get them into a bucket to re hydrate straight away, but should I heal them in, in the polytunnel or outside till Spring before final planting. Or just plant them in position now.

Steve...:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Remind me - where in the UK are you, Steve? If it were me I'd be tempted to keep them somewhere sheltered and wait until spring to plant them given all the cold weather we've had recently. If you live in a mild corner then it may not be such a concern, though.

Scrungee

Frugal gardener
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Steve Randles

Chief Beverage Officer
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Scrungee,

I have what I need/.wanted now, they arrived today and are sat in my greenhouse here at home, in a bucket of water.

Price was about the same as in your link, I got them from walcot nurseries https://walcotnursery.co.uk/product-category/rootstocks/

3 apple and 3 plum rootstocks I have, one apple will be grafted Bramley, one plum to Victoria, the other two of each will be planted to stool. So cut to ground and mulched so that emerging shoots will grow roots and so my own rootstocks.

From there I have quite an ambition to graft and train various apple and plum varieties, shapes and family trees, this is just for myself. Second project and longer term is an orchard on our new Allotment societies plot, which we hope to get this year. By that time I'll have hopefully enthused enough members of that club to grow their own stools and from that we can plant out into the village along our rural pathways and walks, this longer term vision is shared by many already and work is about to begin on that.

So lots to do !!

Thanks Scrungee, you don't owe me anything I was glad to help. When someone helps me and they want nothing in return my ethos is always to "pay it forward" in some way. So I helped you as others have already helped me.

Steve...:)

Scrungee

Frugal gardener
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
3 apple and 3 plum rootstocks I have, one apple will be grafted Bramley, one plum to Victoria, the other two of each will be planted to stool. So cut to ground and mulched so that emerging shoots will grow roots and so my own rootstocks.

You could always graft onto all of them, save the most successfully grafted, and relegate the worst/failures to rootstock production.

Ask a Question