Fruit tree prep/ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have 2 small apple trees, a small pear tree and a small plum tree in the garden. They've probs been around 5+ years(I've only had this house for 2 years).

The pear tree has done well over the last couple years with 50+ each summer. Plum I've had 2 and 4 each year. One of the apple trees, the first year had a few tiny fruit and this year didn't product any and the other apple tree i probs got 5 small apples this year.

I'm looking at adding more fruit trees to the garden before the summer. I live just outside London. Is it worth taking the two apple trees and plum trees out and replacing them? They look a bit odd and branchy and haven't really produced anything. Or is that a waste and a good pruning would be beneficial?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Pruning would be beneficial. We planted apple and pear trees about seven years ago, and this is the first year we have had a nice little crop from them. We pruned the leader (the main trunk that goes straight up) by about 1/4, and took out vertical branches that were about 1" to 2" around. It seems that fruit develops better on horizontal branches.
We also fertilized as soon as leaf buds appeared, and then again when the trees bloomed. Being in Texas, we watered the trees deeply once a week, using rain water that we capture. You may not need to do that.
Here is some help from the Royal Horticultural Society. If anyone knows, they should!

Ask a Question