Fruit Flies! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
My indoor garden is starting to get some pesky fruit flies. My grandmother told me to spray a little soapy water on them and so far that is helping when they are flying around, but it does not prevent new eggs from hatching. Any other tips from my fellow gardeners? Right now I have 3 succulents (their soil is pretty dry), basil, parsley, tomatoes and bell pepper inside on my window shelf. Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My indoor garden is starting to get some pesky fruit flies. My grandmother told me to spray a little soapy water on them and so far that is helping when they are flying around, but it does not prevent new eggs from hatching. Any other tips from my fellow gardeners? Right now I have 3 succulents (their soil is pretty dry), basil, parsley, tomatoes and bell pepper inside on my window shelf. Any help is greatly appreciated! :)
Use a spinosad based insecticide as a soil drench. Spinosad is a harmless to pets and people insecticide made from a soil bacteria.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
There is a simple trap you can use to get rid of fruit flies. Get jar or bottle, put some ripe fruit inside the bottle, roll a piece of paper into a cone and put it into the jar. narrow end down. The flies will not be able to get out. They also love the smell of vinegar. You could place these in places in the garden or even use sticky traps you hang down. You should also weed out your rotten leaves fruit etc anything that would harbour the flies.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the help! I have never heard of spinosad insecticide. I have a cat and I am always nervous about putting anything to wild in here. I have tried the cone method with some sangria because I know they like sweet juices, but I guess some new eggs hatched. I have been using my soap water mix and it only helps the flies, but I cant get rid of the eggs. I saw a bunch of eggs under my basil today. So frustrating!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the help! I have never heard of spinosad insecticide. I have a cat and I am always nervous about putting anything to wild in here. I have tried the cone method with some sangria because I know they like sweet juices, but I guess some new eggs hatched. I have been using my soap water mix and it only helps the flies, but I cant get rid of the eggs. I saw a bunch of eggs under my basil today. So frustrating!
Spinosad is the name of the active ingredient. It comes in many brand names. It is made from a specific soil bacteria and is completely harmless to people, pets or in fact any mammal or bird or even fish. It only affects insects and caterpillars. By using it as a soil drench it will stop the hatching of the fruit fly eggs. If you don't believe me just google it. There are multitudes of sites explaining all about it and how it works. It is a fairly new product but is rapidly taking over the insecticide problems for both homeowners and commercial growers.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Fruitflies can be controlled by small containers with beer which attracts them and they drown in the process. I also did some research when I had a flourishing butternut crop which was being attacked by wasps which laid their eggs on the fruits. Simply wrap a light transparent polythene paper around the fruits and tie it around the stalk. Then poke holes on the sides for respiration and ventilation. The holes should be small enough not to allow the flies to pass through. This technique is best applied on larger fruits.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I have not heard about soapy water to prevent flies, I hope to use this method soon. I have found hot ash works well against worms and flies/worm eggs on the plant leaves and stems. Burn wood and make some ash. Sprinkle the warm ash (remember this should not be too warm otherwise it will damage your plants) on the leaves and stems. This will control flies and worms eggs from hatching.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I have not heard about soapy water to prevent flies, I hope to use this method soon. I have found hot ash works well against worms and flies/worm eggs on the plant leaves and stems. Burn wood and make some ash. Sprinkle the warm ash (remember this should not be too warm otherwise it will damage your plants) on the leaves and stems. This will control flies and worms eggs from hatching.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would make fruit fly traps and set them next to your garden, while continuing with the soapy water sprays. My fruit fly traps are just water, dish soap, and apple cider vinegar in a container, with cling wrap over top. I poke tiny holes in the cling wrap with thumbtacks or a sharp knife, and drop a piece of rotten or close to rotten fruit in the mixture. Usually I have found berries work best to attract them. I also make sure that every other food, produce or not, is sealed and removed from the counters. I even keep bananas in the fridge to prevent these little monsters! Hope this helps! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Use a spinosad based insecticide as a soil drench. Spinosad is a harmless to pets and people insecticide made from a soil bacteria.

Would this work on black ants as well? My outdoor garden is a haven for black ants, which are seeking softer ground to live in away from the North Carolina clay. I want to bring my pots indoors this winter (herbs mostly) but I know they are all HUGE ant colonies. I've been dying for a way to get rid of the ants without repotting the entire plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You might be bringing fruit flies IN every time you bring fruit (specifically bananas) home from the grocery store.

I fill my kitchen sink with a water and vinegar mixture (a splash of vinegar to a sink of water) and put all my fruit in to soak for 30 minutes before putting it out in my fruit bowl. That usually does the trick. The main thing with fruit flies is getting rid of whatever they are living on, which is tough when it is a plant that is alive. Sticking it outside for a while might also help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Would this work on black ants as well? My outdoor garden is a haven for black ants, which are seeking softer ground to live in away from the North Carolina clay. I want to bring my pots indoors this winter (herbs mostly) but I know they are all HUGE ant colonies. I've been dying for a way to get rid of the ants without repotting the entire plant.
I am sure it would because it kills all of the ants I have here.

Ask a Question