Front garden privacy ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I'm looking for some advice for a piece of land at the front of my house that looks onto a public path. Currently its a section of grass and it is roughly about 8-10ft in width from the house to the path. We recently moved so looking to spruce it up a bit as its currently just grass with no divide between the public path and our property.

We had an idea of putting a 1m fence up as well as some sort of small tree (6-7ft) behind the fence line but nothing that will grow too tall, wild or have roots can cause damage etc. Ideally evergreen foliage. Maybe something to create a hedge or 2-3ft apart?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated please. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-07 212025.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-07 212025.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have lived a couple of places without a divide from the road because there is something written into the conditions that forbids it, careful of that.

I have seen pyracanthas trained along an open structure, not quite a hedge, but looking very nice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
What have neighbours done?

You might get some ideas for that.

But the best ideas tend to take a long time establishing themselves. There's rarely a "quick fix" that looks right.

We have a front garden, probably no deeper than yours.
As did all the houses in our road, we have a 2ft high curtilage brick wall. At first, there was nothing in the front garden when we bought the house. So I made an 18" high frame fence out of 3" x 2" and trellis for the top of the wall to keep any dogs out and planted viburnums and azaleas up against the wall.
Eventually, they grew to be taller than the bit of fencing and much thicker, so there was no need for the extra bit of fence.
It took 20 years though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Laurel is a good one. Provides a nice hedge, grows quickly and requires only occasional watering to look it's best.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My advice for you would be quite different. Most people want to build a barrier right around the edge of their property to keep prying eyes out. I think a far better idea is to start by choosing a place near your front door and create a private area there. There are a few different ways to do this.
Line up from the path and the front door, and plant something nice and tall about half way between the two. Maybe add some posts and trellis to make a seating area. Trellis is good to grow a variety of climbers on, some flowering and some evergreen. If you do this you have effectively given yourself privacy, and the rest of what people see would be just a lovely garden. Using a bit of imagination could make your private corner just what you want it to be.

The very first thing to check on though is whether or not there are any rules about all front lawn areas being left clear. I know this is a policy in some areas. You don't want to work on it and then find out afterwards!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
One I have used fairly successfully is growing morning glory up a trellis for the first year while something slower establishes itself on the bottom part.
I have a new wooden arch in my front garden with a climbing rose on one side and honeysuckle on the other. Both are just young plants so I don't expect them to do much this year.

Do you think it would be OK to plant a couple of morning glory 'heavenly blue' alongside them? I don't want to hamper the main plants in anyway by robbing them of nutrients or light.

It's a sheltered, sunny spot - but I don't think my morning glories will get too carried away as our hot summers days rarely get above 18 degrees C.

Ask a Question