Fresh veggies with toast

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thought I would share this wonderful treat with you all because we love it in my home and it is a great way to eat your garden harvest...if you grow these veggies.

Take a loaf of french bread and cut it into half inch slices. Put these in the oven and bake them until they are golden brown on top.

Make or buy some guacamole.

Cut up an orange and yellow bell pepper into little cubes. Cut a dozen cherry tomatoes in half.

Give the toast a good slather of the guacamole and top with the peppers and tomatoes.

To make it even better you can sprinkle a little asiago cheese on top.

Reaction score
Rosyrain this does taste like a tasty treat; i really think i would enjoy this as i just love my fresh veggies..the only thing i would have done

differently is add some dice cucumbers to this tatsy treat..

Reaction score
Love this! The carbs and all that good fatty acids from the avocado, plus all the goodness of the peppers and tomatoes, this ought to be one of the healthies breakfast or snack ideas ever! I never thought of eating guacamole that way!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This sounds like a really great recipe, thank you for sharing it with us. I'll try it out in the nearest future. I've never eaten guacamole. I'm curious if I'll like it or not:)

Reaction score
As everyone likes the sound of your recipe Rosyrain and this is exactly the sort of thing we eat either for breakfast or as a mid morning snack where I live and we either use thick slices of bread cut from a crusty loaf or a french stick cut in half lengthways and then width ways - which although baked in the same way - as there are a whole range of different toppings that we use - in fact we use almost anything that you could put on a pizza - here are a few more variations that you might like to try

As an alternative to the guacamole - as a base you can use hummus, pesto, or a rich tomato paste instead
and
Alternate toppings - you can mix the peppers with tomato, olives and garlic or try shredded zucchini with grated cheese or maybe chopped spinach and mushrooms topped with grated cheese and have to say that chopped spinach and mushrooms on top of a hummus base is seriously delicious :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oooh hummus would be a good spread too!! I made these toasts for a dinner party recently and they were gone before all the chips and junkfood were eaten. I felt proud that my family enjoyed the healthy treats!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I've seen many bell peppers and cherry tomatoes in the grocery store yesterday. This is a great recipe! I will try this because I want to switch to a vegetable diet. :) P.S.: How can I make guacamole?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Another two alternative spreads are skordalia, which is made from garlic, mashed potatoes, olive oil and white wine vinegar, or melitzanosalata, a Greek aubergine dip.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have never heard of melitzanosalata or skordalia, but I like the names! I bet the mashed potato spread would taste a little like hummus.

Helaguamamela- There are many ways to make guacamole, but it is simply smashed avacados with spices and herbs mixed into it. You can make it any way you would like. Check out the Internet and you should be able to find hundreds of good recipes!

Reaction score
Oh I love eating fresh veggies with guacamole. Another suggestion would be to use some olive oil, salt, and pepper instead of guacamole. You could also add some cheese on the bread or on the side. I like having these types of snacks for lunch if I'm not very hungry and need something quick.

For guacamole I usually add: avocado, red onion, cherry tomatoes, salt and pepper, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and a bit of lime juice.

Ask a Question