Fresh Strawberries!!

Reaction score
I didn't grow them myself, but I did pick them myself...and they are SO yummy! I picked 5 quarts (had kids with me so didn't do more, although I easily could have.) and ate 1/2 quart yesterday. Since I wanted them to make strawberry shortcake for my Mom's birthday next week I forced myself to freeze most of them today, so there'd be some leftover! Our local store carry shipped-in strawberries year round, but it's always a treat to get them FRESH and LOCAL! I can't get over how much juice they created when I mashed the ones for the shortcake. I had to remind myself they are NOT all for me, and not dive in with a spoon!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Fresh berries are always wonderful, in my book ! I have some strawberry plants, but we just recently planted them, so we are not getting any berries from them yet.
I walked out through the back pasture last evening, and the blackberries are almost ripe. I picked a small handful, but they are mostly still red, and very small berries, about the size of a small blueberry, or huckleberry.
I think that I will buy some starts to plant near the house, and they should have larger fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have a few berries coming in on my plant now! I suppose I need to come up with a way to protect the from berries and worms. Something already ate the first flower on the other plant. I have mesh waste basket, maybe that will work...

Reaction score
Fresh berries are always wonderful, in my book ! I have some strawberry plants, but we just recently planted them, so we are not getting any berries from them yet.
I walked out through the back pasture last evening, and the blackberries are almost ripe. I picked a small handful, but they are mostly still red, and very small berries, about the size of a small blueberry, or huckleberry.
I think that I will buy some starts to plant near the house, and they should have larger fruit.

I have wild blackberries on my property, too and I LOVE to gather them. YUM! My check last weekend showed very green berries. Warm weather through the week might have changed that. Have to go look. I just love having freshly picked then quickly frozen berries to pull out all year long!

Reaction score
I have a few berries coming in on my plant now! I suppose I need to come up with a way to protect the from berries and worms. Something already ate the first flower on the other plant. I have mesh waste basket, maybe that will work...

After all your work and love the last thing you want is for the critters to eat your fruit! I like the idea of the mesh waste basket. Let us know if it works!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am amazed at how the strawberries are coming along. The first runner rooted and I severed it from the plant yesterday. It immediately wilted, but today it looks great! Gardening is such an adventure.

BTW, my other butterfly emerged this morning!

Reaction score
I am amazed at how the strawberries are coming along. The first runner rooted and I severed it from the plant yesterday. It immediately wilted, but today it looks great! Gardening is such an adventure.

BTW, my other butterfly emerged this morning!

Boy, do I admire your passion for and knowledge of gardening! I love so much of it, but get distracted so easily! Keep "talking", though, because I love living vicariously through all of the wonderful things you have going on with your plants and the butterflies!!! Thanks!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Babble64, reading your post made me so hungry! It's very true that fresh strawberries are the most delicious. My boyfriend and I promised each other that after we pass our exams, we will have a picnic and we will eat as many strawberries with whipped cream, as possible:D

Reaction score
Have you seen my gardening pin board? It's so full that I've started a second one just for the plants I actually grow, lol.
The main board: http://pinterest.com/cdgautreaux/great-gardening-ideas-and-tips/
What I actually grow: http://pinterest.com/cdgautreaux/in-my-garden/

I haven't Chanell. I'll admit to being curious, since you were talking of your boards with someone else here...but I hadn't gone to look yet. I just followed you on both of your boards. I'll have to do the looking late,r though, because I'm already playing hooky from my responsibilities by being here! I wish someone would pay me to have fun! ;)

Reaction score
Babble64, reading your post made me so hungry! It's very true that fresh strawberries are the most delicious. My boyfriend and I promised each other that after we pass our exams, we will have a picnic and we will eat as many strawberries with whipped cream, as possible:D

Oh that sounds lovely! When will that be, do you think??? And I hope you'll be whipping your own cream...oh yum!!!

Reaction score
I haven't Chanell. I'll admit to being curious, since you were talking of your boards with someone else here...but I hadn't gone to look yet. I just followed you on both of your boards. I'll have to do the looking late,r though, because I'm already playing hooky from my responsibilities by being here! I wish someone would pay me to have fun! ;)

Chanell's Pinterest boards are awesome. I can relate to your feeling of playing hooky. When I get sucked into Pinterest , one pin leads to another and I feel like I'm playing hooky by spending so much time pinning and reading other people's pins.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh that sounds lovely! When will that be, do you think??? And I hope you'll be whipping your own cream...oh yum!!!

Yes, we will be whipping our own cream because it's so much fun:D . I really like spending time in kitchen, preparing delicious desserts. We passed our exams - what a relief! - so now all that we have to do is to wait for a sunny and warm day:D

Reaction score
Yes, we will be whipping our own cream because it's so much fun:D . I really like spending time in kitchen, preparing delicious desserts. We passed our exams - what a relief! - so now all that we have to do is to wait for a sunny and warm day:D

Congratulations! May I ask what level of schooling you're in? And...enjoy! MMmmmmmm!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Congratulations! May I ask what level of schooling you're in? And...enjoy! MMmmmmmm!

We both are University students. I study philosophy, he currently studies math.
I'm one of these eternal students who keep getting a degree after a degree instead of getting a job:p
How is the weather in your area? Here, where I live, it's cold again. I'm pretty sure that we will end up having our strawberry picnic indoors:rolleyes:

Ask a Question