Fresh salsa

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
With all the veggie talk going on and the blooms starting to come up I was just wondering if anyone made fresh salsa with their bounty...or at least part of it. The 4th of July is coming up and I am tasked with providing the salsa for the party as I do every year. What do you all put in your salsa? Mine consists of the following ingredients:

Tomatos
Green onion
White onion
Cucumber
Cilantro
Jalepeno
Lime
Salt and pepper to taste.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
With all the veggie talk going on and the blooms starting to come up I was just wondering if anyone made fresh salsa with their bounty...or at least part of it. The 4th of July is coming up and I am tasked with providing the salsa for the party as I do every year. What do you all put in your salsa? Mine consists of the following ingredients:

Tomatos
Green onion
White onion
Cucumber
Cilantro
Jalepeno
Lime
You stole my reciepe :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never eaten salsa. It's a sauce, isn't it? How do I prepare it? Can I add it to my pasta? I like all of these ingredients that you mentioned, so I'm pretty sure I'd like salsa too:) Please, tell me more about it, I want to try something new today. I'm in a courageous mood;)

Reaction score
Fresh salsa is so good! I spend a lot of my time making it and eventually I can it as well. I like putting fresh corn in mine and occasionally black beans. Whatever is in it its always good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Claudine- there are 2 ways to make salsa- there is the sauce way and then the chunky way. The sauce version is like a spicy tomato sauce that you could actually use on pasta, I have never considered doing this before. The sauce kind of salsa is basically pureed in a food processor, and is traditionally served with tortilla chips. The chunky blend is basically all of the ingredients chopped up and tossed into a bowl, kind of like a finely chopped salad. I'm not sure the chuncky blend would go well with pasta, but you could serve it with toasted bread or tortilla chips.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for the explanation:) I think I'll make both of these versions, but I must say that the chunky blend sounds especially delicious to me. I don't have any tortilla chips and I'm pretty sure that I couldn't eat them (I'm gluten intolerant), but I have corn bread that can be toasted:D

Reaction score

Tomatos
Green onion
White onion
Cucumber
Cilantro
Jalepeno
Lime

Do you like guacamole? I prefer the really spicy salsas. If you ever want to prepare a really nice spicy salsa, then just put some tomato and chilaca chili on a comal, peel the chili once it's all done, then had a small piece of white onion and blend all together. Some people use chives for this salsa, I prefer white onion.

Reaction score
There is a mango avocado salsa I love:

Avocado
Red onion
coriander
lemon juice
salt
pepper
1 green chili
mango

Mix all together. Put inside fridge and one hour or so later you can enjoy!

Reaction score
I've never eaten salsa. It's a sauce, isn't it? How do I prepare it? Can I add it to my pasta? I like all of these ingredients that you mentioned, so I'm pretty sure I'd like salsa too:) Please, tell me more about it, I want to try something new today. I'm in a courageous mood;)

Salsa is Spanish for "sauce" but it comes in many variations. It is really good with corn tortilla chips, or over Mexican dishes like enchiladas, tacos, burritos, and a lot of other things. Not really good with pasta though. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Trellum - this mango avocado salsa sounds really good and healthy:) Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Colene - I always eat pasta with different sauces, so I thought that it may be a good idea to add salsa to it too;) Now I see that I was wrong. I'll try eating it with toasted bread, because I don't know how to prepare these Mexican dishes that you mentioned.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There is a gluten free tortila chip brand that I sometimes buy, I think it is called Salinas? I actually prefer the gluten free tortila chips to the regular ones. You can check on line to see if there is a brand sold where you live.

Reaction score
There is a mango avocado salsa I love:

Avocado
Red onion
coriander
lemon juice
salt
pepper
1 green chili
mango

Mix all together. Put inside fridge and one hour or so later you can enjoy!

Wow! I have tried making the avocado salsa before and it turned out pretty tasty; never in my wildest dream thought mango could go with it, I am definitely going to add mango to it and see how it goes.(y)

Reaction score
I thought so as well! Believe me! But mango goes great with the avocado!!!Just let 'em sit together for a while inside the fridge! The flavors are just amazing!! This salsa goes great with fish! Or when you want to eat something fresh along your roasted meat.

Reaction score
Trellum - this mango avocado salsa sounds really good and healthy:) Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Colene - I always eat pasta with different sauces, so I thought that it may be a good idea to add salsa to it too;) Now I see that I was wrong. I'll try eating it with toasted bread, because I don't know how to prepare these Mexican dishes that you mentioned.

You're welcome, Clau. I love that salsa, it goes great with fish and believe me... this salsa isn't as sweet as most people think it is! It's actually bit spicy and very nice, the flavors are amazing.... I really recommend it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You're welcome, Clau. I love that salsa, it goes great with fish and believe me... this salsa isn't as sweet as most people think it is! It's actually bit spicy and very nice, the flavors are amazing.... I really recommend it.
I'll try it out:) I heard that avocado is one of the healthiest fruits, so I really want to incorporate it to my diet. This recipe sounds perfect for me. I don't like fish, so I think I'll just eat it with bread:)

Ask a Question