Freezing sweet corn

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have heard that you can just cut the corn off and freeze, no blanch. So I'm trying that this yr. I have cut the corn off the cob then blanched before freezing (to save time and space when blanching and I've blanched whole cobs then cut the corn off. Not much difference between whole and cut off then blanching. But I was talking to an experienced corn freezer and was told I didn't need to blanch. Have you tried all three methods? Which do you like best?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Clean, blanch for 2 min, plunge into cold ice water, cut off cob, freeze. I process about 300 ears per year.

Works for me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada

Nixtamalized Corn Slurry​

Posted on 08/06/2015 by Durgan
http://www.durgan.org/2015/August 2015/6 August 2015 Nixtamalized Corn Slurry/HTML/HTML/ 6 August 2015 Nixtamalized Corn Slurry
About one liter of Dent field corn was nixtamalized for 72 hours in calcium hydroxide, then processed into a slurry for drinking or eating as as cereal.The nixtamalizing process releases nutrients which aids body absorption. This makes a cheap nutritional home cereal, gluten free and N.A. is full of fields of corn.The field corn is available in kernel form as bird feed.I buy the dried cobs, grow some Indian Corn, and process at home.The end product is not much different than processing sweet corn, except for the nixtamalization process.
The process was to boil the nixtamalized corn, blend into a slurry, store in liter jars, pressure can at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage at room temperature.
dsc_77996%20august%202015%20nixtamalized%20corn%20slurry_std.jpg

This entry was posted in Uncat

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I just cut it off the cob, fill 8oz jars, add 1/3 teasp salt and water up to halfway, then pressure can it.
I do prefer commercial canned sweetcorn to frozen.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
What is nixtamalization of corn and its benefits?
  • The process has been adopted across many countries and cultures for its benefits. Nixtamalization is a very important step in the preparation of corn and can bring out a number of benefits. Easier to Digest – It makes corn easier to digest and helps prevent the formation of harmful compounds.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Blanching before freezing definitely improves the taste of frozen corn and frozen corn has a far superior taste to canned corn.

I've tried it all ways and the best tasting way to preserve your garden-fresh corn is blanching and immediately freezing. Blanching prevents enzymes from aging corn and removes dirt and organisms from the surface of the corn.

...blanch for 2 min, ...

Correction 5 minutes is all it takes to protect that fresh taste flavor.

Ask a Question