Free Jalepenos

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Our family has been blessed with a lot of free local produce lately and the latest was a bag of fresh jalepenos. We received about 2 pounds from a guy my husband works with and we will not be able to eat them all fresh. I think I am going to roast some of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
You can easily pickle them with 2 tablespoons of kosher salt, 4 spoons vinegar to a quart of simmering water , some carrots and onions and garlic, some bay, other spices to suit your taste. also, 1 spoon olive oil. Jar, cool. enjoy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is a very good idea! Thank you for giving this recipe. I should have enough peppers to do this too. I am also going to make some nachos and fresh salsa with them.

Reaction score
I made poppers with mine last year. I split and seeded them and made a nice cream cheese filling. Then I dipped them in flour, then, milk, then cornmeal and flash froze them on a cookie sheet. They were so good we ate them for breakfast sometimes. It's a messy job but well worth it.

Reaction score
You can freeze them as they are, too. That's what I'm doing with mine. I have three jalapeno plants, but one is a monster and is producing 5x as many as the others (one day I picked 10! from it alone, and 2 from the other 2 each). So I've just been throwing them into a sandwich bag in the freezer. Those poppers sound great, too!

Reaction score
Our family has been blessed with a lot of free local produce lately and the latest was a bag of fresh jalepenos. We received about 2 pounds from a guy my husband works with and we will not be able to eat them all fresh. I think I am going to roast some of them.
Yum. Jalepeno and pineapple pizza! I also recently chopped jalepenos and added them to a large batch of quinoa while it was cooking. I was able to have leftovers to freeze and later add to recipes to add a bit of spiciness to a meal. What good fortune to receive two pounds of those peppers. Enjoy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oooh poppers, I am going to make some of those too...I love poppers! So do jalepenos freeze well, I take it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
By the way, when I gave the recipe above for pickled jalepenos I forgot to mention that the carrots absorb the "heat". The carrots will become hot and will reduce the "heat" (but not the flavor) of the peppers. You can do the same thing with other peppers such as datils and tabasco peppers, giving a less intense form of these flavorful but hot peppers. One tabasco is as hot as ten jalapenos . One datil is as hot as 60 jalapenos.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, I'd love to be blessed with a lot of free local produce too:) It sounds really great! There is nothing better than healthy and fresh fruits and vegetables:)
I've never eaten jalepenos, but I'm sure they're tasty.

Reaction score
I would love some free jalapenos! I'd put them on pizza or make poppers :) They are one of my favorite foods. I agree with the suggestion to pickle them. For fresh, I'd make some spicy salsa.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I ended up making some poppers, but the cream cheese filling could have used a little spice. The filling was kind of bland. I am going to use some bacon bits in the next batch I make.

Ask a Question