Found this fly eating plant...

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Does anyone know more about this plant?? Can it grow indoors?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is a Venus Flytrap. They are native in some of the southern states in the US. and it will grow indoors.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Venus flytraps make great pets. I have one and my mom would often ask me to bring it with me when I go spend the weekend with her to help her with farming and weeding. I have several of them you see and she has housefly problems. So it works out beautifully. Contrary to what people might think, no they wont harm you at all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can grow this plant inside, and it is fascinating to watch them open and close. My mom kept lots of plant inside her home, and she also had lots of fruit flies so my nephew bought her one of these Venus Trap to get rid of fruit flies.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ya I would love to get it!! Do they require tons of light?? If I get it should j repot it or keep it in that little pot What soil does it need! I'd love to buy it for my room so it can catch some spiders lol I hate spiders in the summer! Lol how can i care for this little guys? Thank u

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
I have my little ones by a window that has plenty of sunlight. I really don't do much to it at all. Although they are in a large pot since these kinds of plants reproduce by growing others nearby. So I would suggest a big enough pot when they are older. I'd recommend a fairly good quality soil but I really have been just using what I got with mine with the addition of some coffee grounds and grinded up eggshells every now and then. They dont really need much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You definitely can grow it indoors.
To be honest, I really don't like carnivorous plants. They look so dangerous and hostile. Also, I feel very, very sorry for all little insects they eat:cry:

Reaction score
I used to has these kind of plants.
But sadly died because as a guest entertainer as I am, always tried to feed it with small flies. It got tried and slowly died after that. So keep them lazy and dont touch them so many times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Oh boy. I just got one of these little guys too. I just re-potted it and now am leaving it alone to recover. They seem to be quite delicate and as someone above mentioned, they don't like a lot of handling. I did feed it one little bug, and it clamped down nice and tight on it, but later, the leaves opened again. The flytraps don't need to be fed every day, only once or twice a week or so. If you have problems with tiny gnats like I sometimes do, they will find the trap all on their own and it will feast as it's designed to do. Give your plant a few days to settle before you re-pot it or handle it too much, so it will be a little less sensitive.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Generally, such small plants as venus flytrap can grow indoors because they don't have an extensive rooting system which would not be conducive for potting. They are sort of sun loving plants and should be grown next to the window sill for optimum growth.

Ask a Question