Found something curious happening..

Reaction score
Country
United States
So earlier today went to water my indoor garden and afterwards the surface became alive.. Now my soil mix is perlite,vermiculite, peat moss with compost gardening soil.. But I notice these new worms and it concerns me. Any ideas or advice welcome. Video Of it
their size is microscopic and probably smaller than a ball point pen. Characteristics of like inch worms in movement but looks like they flick themselves from points almost hopping. I'm worried they'll kill my garden as maybe theyre a parasite..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It is hard to see, but it looks like Black Soldier fly larvae, which is a good thing. Yes they are maggots, but a very good maggot to have. If you have a compost pile it would be very good to relocate them, but they won't hurt your garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's really hard to see thats my phone zooming in at max theyre that small microscopic almost. This morning when plant lights kicked on I took a second look and theyre are gone so only active either at night or appear when watering. I was afraid that they're fungus gnats from googling as I've seen tiny black fruit fly like bugs once in awhile.
IMG_20201013_164651_01.jpg

Ask a Question