Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Logan,

Thanks for letting me know - which type of notifications is it that don't appear to be working correctly, and I'll see what it could be :). Is it where someone has replied to a thread you have started, or where you have subscribed to someone elses thread?

You may have checked this page already, but there is an "Alert Preferences" page that lists all of the notification options, which may be helpful:

https://www.gardening-forums.com/account/alert-preferences

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Ian, I've had a few problems with it, myself. I have my preferences set to alert me when someone quotes me, mentions me, posts to one of my threads, or one I have posted in. The only alerts I don't have checked are e-mails, I don't need them, since the forum alerts me.

I copied and pasted what was in my alert window:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  1. alp replied to the thread Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics. There may be more posts after this.
    Today at 1:43 PM
  2. Verdun replied to the thread Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics. There may be more posts after this.
    Today at 7:10 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had one alert when I got home from work, which was was that Verdun had posted to the thread. I got home around noon, and I had already read what was new, so it alerted me again when alp replied at 1:43 pm.

But alp "mentioned" me at 9:29 am - while I was still at work, and I did not get an alert about that. :confused: I found this while reading the thread.

alp said:
@MaryMary How often do you go on a boat in the summer? That is a beautiful photo of the water and the sunset.

alp, Today at 9:29 AM

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've done some more reading, and I think what may have happened in your case @MaryMary was that it alerted you to the first new post in the thread since you last visted - but it only sends one alert, until you'd read it again (that way, you don't get bombarded with tons of e-mails and alerts when a thread is active and you aren't online).

i.e. you were alerted at 7:10 AM that there was a new post (and that "There may be more posts after this"). There was no alert sent for any new posts until after you next logged in and read the thread, so the next alert was sent at 1:43 PM.

The forum software does it this way to prevent bombardments of messages from being sent, as sometimes members will only check in periodically and only need the one alert to say that something new has happened. I know that other forum software will sometimes send an alert for each and every reply, rather than just when there is something new.

I don't know if this would also explain the problems that you're having @Logan? I'm still looking in to it :).

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm, I'll do some testing and see what happens. I suspect it may prioritise replies and tags (i.e it won't alert both, only 1). Could you reply to this (with a quote) and tag me too please? :).

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Logan,

Thanks for letting me know - which type of notifications is it that don't appear to be working correctly, and I'll see what it could be :). Is it where someone has replied to a thread you have started, or where you have subscribed to someone elses thread?

You may have checked this page already, but there is an "Alert Preferences" page that lists all of the notification options, which may be helpful:

https://www.gardening-forums.com/account/alert-preferences
Thanks @Ian i did check that page and all the boxes are ticked. I did get 1notification this morning after i posted a message, but none after that. Is that normal.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. that sounds correct - you should only get one notification (even if there are lots of responses), so it doesn't overwhelm the alerts system :). The notifications will probably something to the effect of "there may be more replies". :).

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hmm, I'll do some testing and see what happens. I suspect it may prioritise replies and tags (i.e it won't alert both, only 1). Could you reply to this (with a quote) and tag me too please? :).
If I quote you in one reply, and then tag you in the next, you should get two notifications, if you have all your boxes ticked.

Ask a Question